Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by shackman, Mar 30, 2002.

1. i just acquired an old musicmaster bass for free and want to fix it up a bit. im not very familiar with these. i was wondering if someone could give me some suggestions in what to do. Can you buy a new Strat pickup to make it sound good. I want a vintage, unique as possible tone. Thanks
  2. ashton

Jan 4, 2001
    umm, strat is a lead guitar, not a bass. lead guitar pups, not bass. get where im going. id say just new pups strings ect ect. and maybe a bit of paint.
  3. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    That was my first bass at age 15, and I bought my kid one for his first bass also. If you really want to replace that pickup, you might try one of the replacements for the vintage P/Tele basses and modify the shape of the bobbin just a bit.

Really, though, why mess with it? You can string it with flatwounds and it makes a pretty cool little bass to play with a pick. Accept it for what it wants to be loved!
  4. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Ahh, yes, a Fender Musicmaster. It was my first bass too. And my Dad's first bass. (He gave it to me when I started playing) The pickguard had already turned yellow by the time I got mine. It needs some work on it though. I plugged it in last year and I couldn't get any sound out of it. It really has no resale value (not that I would sell it anyway) cause my pops customized it pretty much. He re-finished it like 2 or 3 times. (This was "back in the day" when Fender's finishe's would wear off very easily) and he put a pickup cover and bridge ashtray on it. (It was the 70's, chrome on your bass was cool ;) :D )

Anyways, I'm getting off subject. I could be wrong, so don't quote me, but you might be able to get a a Fender Bronco pickup to work in it. Does anyone know for sure?:)
  5. I was thinking since it is a smaller single coil pup you could just modify a fender strat pick up like shakman said. You could expose only 4 pole pieces for the 4 strings.
  6. rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    A Musicmaster was my second bass. Mine was stolen years ago and I recently acquired one of similar vintage...

Here's a picture of the electronics of my '78 Musicmaster. Note that it is almost completely stock, right down to the STRAT pickup. The only mods are that I switched out a faulty volume pot, then completely bypassed the controls running the pickup directly to the output jack...

The tone seemed a mite choked, and I didn't seem to be getting the output that I remembered from my youth. I played several gigs and jams with it before becoming unsatisfied with the tone... I ran the bypass and literally couldn't believe the difference! I've done this on other basses, and know that it improves the tone somewhat, but it was night/day on the Musicmaster... You may want to try it before replacing the pickup... Yes it hums more, but when I refinish it this summer I'll be completely shielding it and rewiring the controls using a push/pull pot to bypass.

I'm seriously falling in love with this little bass!

7. rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon

'Zactly :D :D