1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

musicmaster

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by shackman, Mar 30, 2002.

1. i just acquired an old musicmaster bass for free and want to fix it up a bit. im not very familiar with these. i was wondering if someone could give me some suggestions in what to do. Can you buy a new Strat pickup to make it sound good. I want a vintage, unique as possible tone. Thanks

2. ashton

ashton

Jan 4, 2001
    Australia
    hi
    umm, strat is a lead guitar, not a bass. lead guitar pups, not bass. get where im going. id say just new pups strings ect ect. and maybe a bit of paint.
    later
    Lukas

3. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    That was my first bass at age 15, and I bought my kid one for his first bass also. If you really want to replace that pickup, you might try one of the replacements for the vintage P/Tele basses and modify the shape of the bobbin just a bit.

Really, though, why mess with it? You can string it with flatwounds and it makes a pretty cool little bass to play with a pick. Accept it for what it is...it wants to be loved!

4. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Ahh, yes, a Fender Musicmaster. It was my first bass too. And my Dad's first bass. (He gave it to me when I started playing) The pickguard had already turned yellow by the time I got mine. It needs some work on it though. I plugged it in last year and I couldn't get any sound out of it. It really has no resale value (not that I would sell it anyway) cause my pops customized it pretty much. He re-finished it like 2 or 3 times. (This was "back in the day" when Fender's finishe's would wear off very easily) and he put a pickup cover and bridge ashtray on it. (It was the 70's, chrome on your bass was cool ;) :D )

Anyways, I'm getting off subject. I could be wrong, so don't quote me, but you might be able to get a a Fender Bronco pickup to work in it. Does anyone know for sure?:)

5. I was thinking since it is a smaller single coil pup you could just modify a fender strat pick up like shakman said. You could expose only 4 pole pieces for the 4 strings.

6. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    A Musicmaster was my second bass. Mine was stolen years ago and I recently acquired one of similar vintage...

Here's a picture of the electronics of my '78 Musicmaster. Note that it is almost completely stock, right down to the STRAT pickup. The only mods are that I switched out a faulty volume pot, then completely bypassed the controls running the pickup directly to the output jack...

[​IMG]

The tone seemed a mite choked, and I didn't seem to be getting the output that I remembered from my youth. I played several gigs and jams with it before becoming unsatisfied with the tone... I ran the bypass and literally couldn't believe the difference! I've done this on other basses, and know that it improves the tone somewhat, but it was night/day on the Musicmaster... You may want to try it before replacing the pickup... Yes it hums more, but when I refinish it this summer I'll be completely shielding it and rewiring the controls using a push/pull pot to bypass.

I'm seriously falling in love with this little bass!

-robert

7. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    [​IMG]

'Zactly :D :D

-robert