Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

musicmen vrs jazz?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ak50324, Sep 16, 2005.

1. ak50324

ak50324

Jul 30, 2005
    What is your opinion? I like the jazz better myself

2. impact07

impact07

Jul 13, 2005
    Tucson, Az
    Both. So I guess my answer is: Yes, please.

3. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    One of each?

4. psh, p bass. :D :bassist: then again, if the pbass wasn't an option, i'd say the jazz. i don't like the clangy sound of the musicman basses AT ALL. plus for some reason the necks don't feel as fast as a fender. then again, i have yet to play any musicman pre ernie ball, so that could be a factor too.

5. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    it would help if you chose a specific musicman bass here. they do make different basses than just the Stingray. Anyway I'd take a Musicman Sterling over a Jazz bass, but I'd rather just have both.

6. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I'll take any, and as a matter of fact, recently sold my Stingray, miss it plenty and currently have a nice Jazz. I'll take one of each.

7. Kristopher

Kristopher

Mar 13, 2005
    Tempe, AZ
    I have a Stingray and a MIM Fender Jazz, and for recording purposes my 'Ray goes to tape with more clarity and punch than my Jazz. On the other hand, when I play live I tend to prefer the Jazz's tone and feel for some reason.

Note: I'm sure it makes a huge difference that I play with my fingers AND I string with flatwounds. I never liked my 'Ray's sound very much until I started using flats. It really helps with that "clankiness".

8. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    bongo

9. Jazz, the single pup mm's are a one trick pony.

10. One trick pony?

*takes out flamethrower*

I can tell that you've played a fair share of instruments from taking a gander at your profile, but honestly, you must not believe that rubbish.

I've played countless instruments myself, and among the most versatile is my MM Sterling. It can cop a tone for any situation without a problem while retaining it's own idiosyncratic sound.

Just for a laugh though, what is the "one trick" an MM can do?

11. To me, the sound is emphasis on the mids, and when in comparison to the range that you can get to a jazz bass by sweeping your blend or VV pots, i think the possible tonal variations are much wider on two pickup bass. On top of that I don't have anywhere to put my thumb when playing. :)
    Both of the carvins i've had had mm style pups on them, and I've played several rays and mm's of friends for a few hours at a time tops, so I'm not an authority, I've always prefered either the p sound, with the single pup more towards the neck, or the dual pickup style basses.

12. It may be one trick, but it's a darn good trick!

Oh, and the Jazz is for me!

13. Musicman. My SR 5 has amazing range. Fenders sound like Fenders (thank goodness).

14. Big Thump

Big Thump

Jun 29, 2005
    North of 49
    One Trick Pony! I get tired of hearing that especially Pbass threads,One wicked sound is way better than dialing a bunch of so so sounds,I love 'em both ,but would really like a Ltd. edition Sterling in Buttercream with tort. guard

15. You mention how you tire of hearing about it, then go ahead and say that it has one sound? I'm confused. If you read my response earlier, i state that I'm no expert, and from my experience, that is my opinion. This isn't whether they are good are not, I should of said, I think that single pickup MM/SR style basses don't have as many options as I would like. Is that formatting suitable with your folks beliefs about how great your basses are? :)

16. adouglas

adouglas

Jun 23, 2003
    Bridgeport, CT
    Bingo.
    :D

Basscentral says "Late next week." :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist:

17. gruuv

gruuv

Jan 23, 2004
    Tennessee
    +1

18. Bassosaurus

Bassosaurus

Aug 27, 2005
    J will have more sounds, but will never sound like the MM.

These are probably my two fav 4-strings; so I'd say either'd work or, better yet, both.

Just bought a Stingray and tried many J's in the process. Just seemed all together more solid - and it's got that sound!