Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Musicology Prince's new album

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by ldiezman, Apr 22, 2004.

1. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    I just picked up Musicology yesterday, man this thing is great. I recommend it to anyone.

Prince plays all the instruments on this album, with the exception of a few tunes, in which case he lists the additional performers.

It almost makes me kinda sad that Prince is so good at so many instruments. Its not like he kinda can play bass, guitar, drums, or piano, he is great at all of them. I am really impressed with his bass work on this album...

Seriously guys, pick this thing up

just my 2 cents

2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I got the single(musicology) a little while ago, it was fantastic, I'll have to get the full album.

3. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too

I will take you up on this one!
    I thought it was out on the 23rd? I was at the store last night and didn't see anything.... :confused:

4. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    have you learned the lines?

Great tune!

5. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Some people just speak music, and can express that through any number of instruments.

Other famous examples include John Paul Jones, and I have heard Stevie Wonder has this talent, not sure I have only heard him on the piano.

A friend of mine told me once that Flava Flav (you know "Yah' Boyee) was a musical genius :eek: , but I found that hard to believe.

6. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too

i know he was killer on the crack pipe :meh:

"you want $6 FOR WHAT?!... I can't do nuttin for ya man"

7. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Stevie is one of the greatest musical geniuses of our time. Where dya think he got the name 'wonder' ? ;)

8. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Not sure, I'm not a fan, just relaying information :D

9. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Amen! Stevie is this generations Gershwin.

10. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I mentioned this is another forum/thread-
    Personally, I was hoping for a band effort. That said, it's "OK" Prince played 95% of everything on this...why have Rhonda S, Blackwell, Reto, etc at yer disposal & not use the Hell out them?
    Anyway, I also recommend Muiscology.
    The title tune's groove is played way up there, huh?
    ;)

abark-
    Stevie Wonder played just about everything on numerous albums(e.g. Music Of My Mind, Talking Book, etc). I bet you have heard "Superstition"; Wonder is playing keys, bass, & drums on that one.

11. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002

how can you be not sure if you are a fan or not? use commas damnit! :p

12. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I am sorry but, at that time, I was in a hurry to get to class :D

13. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Those are some awkward commas, But I am hardly the master of all things comma. ;) But a lack of them is much worse than an abundance in my opinion.

Anyway, A good Stevie wonder Primer is "at the close of a century" It's a 4 disc compilation of songs spanning the length of his career. Lots of variety, lots of great songs, all his signature songs and then some. If not that, then the 20th century masters compilation is a pretty good selection as well.

14. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    The various in and outs of English composition is not my forte. :D (Though, upon review of what I wrote, I belive the second comma was unnecessary)

"I am sorry; at that time I was in a hurry to get to a class", probably would have been better structured. :confused:

Thanks for the heads up on Wonder sir. I will check it out when I get paid

15. b15fliptop

b15fliptop Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Florida
    I picked up Musicology on Tueday, and I agree it is KILLER. The best part is I'm seeing him Sunday night.

:hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

I also agree on the Stevie Wonder thing. And you've heard him play more than piano, even though you may not have realized it. He plays chromatic harmonica, drums and/or keyboard bass on many of his songs, including Superstition, Higher Ground, I Wish, Boogie on Reggae Woman, Living for the City, etc. In fact, I've seen numerous bassists cite his keyboard bass as an influence in interviews.

I have a DVD called "Classic Albums - Stevie Wonder: Songs in the Key of Life" in which they show Stevie laying down drums and several keyboard tracks for "I wish", and then play the whole thing back. Definitely a genius...

16. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks

Yeah, commas take a long time to type. Good thing you skipped them; you might have been late! :D

17. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Ha ha ha :D , ok so I just wasn't putting that much effort into typing.

I keep forgeting that Talkbass is full of English majors. :D

18. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    wooooee!

This is a very good album, I love the r/b soul thing going on. Prince is truly amazing.

19. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    If I hadda choose-

...I would opt for the Live At The Alladin DVD.

You hadda know that was coming, WR!
    ;)

20. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Great CD, as are all of his discs.

Prince is the new Miles Davis. He's an innovator, trendsetter, phenominal talent, marketing genius. His music has more layers than an onion, and by the time everyone is copying him, he's moved on.