Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Musictoyz.com

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by DRN, Aug 4, 2003.

1. DRN

DRN

Mar 17, 2002
    Las Vegas
    Has anyone else had problems with musictoyz's customer service. Everything seems fine if the order goes correctly but as soon as I had a problem I could not get in contact with them. I left (2) voice mails and (2) emails. The last one being forceful mentioning contacting Visa and disputing the charge. I finally got an answer that just said "Dave......sending another out today......"

I am just frustrated because since I received it July 9th I have been trying to return it, get an answer on when another will ship etc.

Sorry for the vent but I would like to know if other people have had problems and I should stop using them or this was just a miscommunication.

Thanks,
    Dave

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    It's not just you.

Like you say, when the item is in stock everything goes well.

When the item isn't in stock, forget it. I think their issues stem largely from the fact that they don't seem to have a good stock control system, so they mark something as 'shipped' before knowing for sure whether they have the item or not.

Several times, I've received a UPS shipping notification for an item which then doesn't ship for several weeks. In the meantime, my card gets charged and any communications (email / voicemail) regarding this get ignored. At some later point, the item will show up.

I'll end this by saying that the times I have talked to them they seem to be very pleasant and trying to do a good job. But it's easy to deduce the opposite from their customer service. I think if they spent a little time on getting better stock control, shopping there would be a much better experience.

After the last frustrating order experience, I've decided I'm only ordering from musictoyzs if it's the only possible place I can buy an item from. Otherwise, I'd rather shop at somewhere like PedalGeek which has good selection, good in/out of stock indicators and great customer service. Every time I've needed to deal with Dan at PedalGeek, he's responded promptly and been very helpful.

3. I ordered something from them once and paid for next day shipping. First off, they didn't ship it for a few days even though it was 'in stock' and I received a shipping notification. Then to top it off they shipped it to the wrong address. I left phone messages and emails and the response was lacking to say the least. When they finally figured out the problem and got back to me they told me they would have to wait until the original unit got back to them before they shipped a new one to me. Bottom line is it took about 10 days to receive something I paid next day shipping for. I tried to get them to reimburse me for the shipping but I just gave up after a few days of failed attempts to get them on the phone.
    :spit:
    Go with pedalgeek.com. Dan is very responsive and has gone above and beyond when I have dealt with him, not just for ordering something but just to answer any questions you might have.

4. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
  5. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

I've had good service from musictoyz.com with many purchases.

6. DRN

DRN

Mar 17, 2002
    Las Vegas
    Well it looks as if my stuff finally made it. My office just let me know some UPS boxes were in. I work from home so I need to go to the office and get them.

I will be giving my business to pedalgeek for now on. The post order customer service was really bad. I would not mind if they returned my calls and said we need to receive the old one back then process and check it out. Once it is deemed defective we will ship you a new one. But to not answer any emails or voice mails and leave me in the dark was the last straw.

Thanks for the info everyone.

7. It's run by one guy. I've dealt with them: pretty decent guy. Bottom line:

Phone call them and everything works fine.

E-mail is not a good way to communicate with them.

8. DRN

DRN

Mar 17, 2002
    Las Vegas
    Yeah I tried to call them but all I ever got was voice mail so I left two separate messages on two different days and received no response.

I just picked up my orders from my office. The Juggernaut came with an invoice and a UPS pick up sticker. I need to check my account to see if they billed me again. I already returned the first one so I have a feeling everything is screwed up.

I will let you know shortly.

9. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    I bought a Fulltone Bass Drive from them. Paid for next day shipping (I'm an impatient guy when it comes to my bass toys :D) I waited for two days because I figured it would ship the day after I ordered it..it never showed. Called them up..no answer, got some voicemail. I FINALLY got through to them only to find out that it would ship today..fine.. Next day came..no pedal. Called back "oh well we're out of stock and we're having some trouble getting them from Fulltone" Greeeeeeeeeat... Long story short, after numerous phone calls, no one calling me back, no emails saying it was backordered, many excuses saying that Fulltone hasn't shipped any out on this or that shipment blah blah blah, and almost a month went by and I finally got it. I think they refunded me on the overnight shipping though. I don't remember.

10. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    You know, I love this kind of thread. This is a means of spreading the word about poor service, so the rest of us can beware.

For what it's worth, I've had great results with Rik's Music and American Musical Supply. These folks are on top of their game.

Music123, on the other hand, sounds like it's the same company as MusicToyz.

11. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    I actually haven't had that bad of luck with Musicians Friend and I've ordered alot of stuff, including a full drum set. The only real issues I've had are:

1) Ordered a Dean Bass-In-a-Box and it was almost a week late. Somehow came in the UPS truck packed in a Fedex Box? :confused:

2) Had to wait for a DW Remote-Hihat for like 3 weeks because it was back ordered. No biggie, that stuff happens

3) My dad ordered a midi box or something to go midi-out from the keyboard to the computer and it was back ordered even though it said "In Stock" After like a week and a half and nothing in stock he canceled.

12. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    For effects I use:

http://www.musicbrokers.com/
    http://www.ampworx.com/

And of course, buy them right here. The guys above both take PayPal, but MusicBrokers tosses in a couple sets of guitar strings for free, but if you ask nicely, he'll swap them for some DM bass strings :p

13. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Just to resurrect this thread, I recently ordered something from Musictoyz. I phoned beforehand, made sure it was in stock, placed my order and everything went fine.

So, as Jim S suggested, call them beforehand.

14. DRN

DRN

Mar 17, 2002
    Las Vegas
    Why have a website if you need to call and make sure everything is in stock and the order is placed. My problem was that I tried to call for about a week and could not get anyone on the phone. I left voice mails and e-mails.

Oh well. I am glad your order went well. What did you buy! I have had unspecific GAS lately but nothing has peaked my interest.

Dave

15. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    You are 100% correct. An on-line store should have accurate inventory and order status. musictoyz.com professes to have this, but doesn't really have any of it.

I just thought it was fair considering my previous complaints to post when I had a positive experience - even if it did involve a phone call in advance.

As for the GAS, I decided to try out the Line 6 FM4 Filter Modeler.

16. DRN

DRN

Mar 17, 2002
    Las Vegas
    Cool, Let me know how you like it.

Dave

17. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I have had recent good experiences with Manny's Music and Sweetwater.

Sweetwater was superb. Eric (salesman) called me and told me that the item I wanted (a Guardian Fat Max cable) wasn't in stock, but that I could still get it within a week. I wanted another one in a length not offered in their catalog and he said, "No problem. I can have them make one for you for 25 bucks and ship it at the same time." My order came in three days earlier than expected. Eric called me a couple days later just to make sure everything arrived. Great service. I recommend them.

Manny's music was having a blowout on a mixer cover for my 1402, so I ordered it, and it came in exactly when promised. No problems.

Never use Music123.

18. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    ok, I'll bite :)

What were your experiences with them? Mine weren't good either over 3 orders although it wasn't always their fault.

Warwick make rack cases on wheels, and music123 stock 'em. Three times I ordered them, three times they were either broken on arrival or broke soon after.

First time, the item wasn't packed well enough so the wooden rack frame was brokern in shipment. Second time, the handle separated from the case 100 yards from my house - in this case, I'd say it's more faulty goods than music 123's fault.
    Third (and last) time, the item had obviously been used , returned as faulty and then put back into stock as the wheels on the bottom were very wobbly and the case itself had some wear.

19. johans

johans G.U.I - Groovin' under influence

Oct 28, 2004
    the Bay Area, CA
    Music123 and MF are almost par in my own experience..

music123 has fast email responses, while MF has online chatting but slightly slower email responding..

on both, I have orders, countless items from guitars, drums, basses, PA systems to smaller accesories and never had a problem.

well actually did a few times, on those moment they move warehouses, the wait is #!$!^$%&$^# -- and take a while for them to run normal again, but yet .. both of them only has 'normal' pedal and not necesarrily boutique pedals some of you are looking for..

thanks!

20. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    They're also the same company now as well
    Notice how they have the exact same items in stock, at exact same prices? :)