MusicYo: Kramer basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Floppy de Notsogreat, Sep 14, 2000.

1. Floppy de Notsogreat

Floppy de Notsogreat

Sep 14, 2000

I've been thinking about getting a cheap bass. Not because I don't want an expensive one, but rather because - you guessed it - I don't have any money. So, what about those "Kramer" basses at MusicYo? The Striker and Baretta ones in particular? Has anyone played/bought one, or know where I can find a few serious reviews?

Any comments/reviews/opinons would be appriciated.

2. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Hi. I know what is like to be looking for the BEST AND GREATEST Bass for under .. lets say.. $400.
    The Kramer? I would not buy one. I dont know why, but I just dont "feel" it.
    How about a Toby Pro?? Too expensive??
    Be constantly checking Ebay for used bases. I would highly recommend getting a Used bass.
    Hey, you might even find a Warwick for $100!!
  3. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Try getting a used Cort Curbow at Ebay. Great prices on those. (Nobody buys them, because nobody know those are great)
  4. basslax

Apr 20, 2000
    Washington, DC
    i, too have been in your position- a good bass for cheap and got a new spector ns2000 for $400 (from GC if you can believe it). that shows you that ya need to be patient and look around for something that feels (and sounds, if $ will allow it) good, then wait till a good deal comes up. ya, check out the toby pro 4s, i heard they are cool.
  5. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Are you sure you got a REAl Spector NS2000??
    Not the NS2000Q4 or the NS2000B??
    The NS2000 Neck Trough-Carved maple is around $550 in the best case scenario...
  6. Floppy de Notsogreat

Floppy de Notsogreat

Sep 14, 2000
    Thanks for the input.

Regarding the Toby Pro 4 and 5 strings are nice looking instruments, and I've read some positive comments on them. But, yes, a little on the expensive side for my budget at the moment. Sure, I could afford one, if I restricted my diet to pasta for the next few weeks until my next study grant comes through. :eek:

Then again, I'm always happy to make that kind of sacrifice for a new piece of wondrous musical gear, but in this case I'm not so sure since I'd be buying an instrument unfelt and unheard. I'm not real comfy with the idea of buying instruments mail order to begin with: I'd be much more willing to spend my money on something I've held, played and heard for myself. This, of course, also applies to buying used on eBay. Even more so, really.

Why I asked about the Kramer basses is because those are cheap enough that I felt it might be worth a gamble, if I received some positive "second hand" input. If I got one of them and it wasn't all I hoped it would be, I could take the blow. I'd even have enough money to drown my sorrow going out for beers on the weekends! :)

I've been looking around in my local stores and tried out some really nice basses. Most of them are bloody expensive, though. I did play a Cort Curbow 5 string at one store, and if both felt and sounded all right, but, alas, it was new and therefore a bit - though not that much - too expensive. The only dirt-cheap basses they seem to have are the likes of Squire Affinity P's and Broncos (?), and they don't strike my fancy full on.
  7. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    The Kramer Baretta basses are actually quite good...and especially for that price. I played a friend's 5 string and the overall quality was very good. The Dual-rail pickups had good punch and the tone control offered a good tonal range.
    For $199....I am very tempted to buy a four string to have as a backup, but then, I already have too many "backups". :)
    I say...go for it. I don't think you will find anything better for even close to the price.
  8. dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    I've been looking into a cheap 5 string to cut my teeth on and have considered the Steinberger Spirit 5 on However, while surfing around that site I found the Kramer Striker 5 and it looks pretty interesting. Now they also have the Kramer Barretta 5 but that one just might be a little TOO cheap. The Striker is a few bucks more and appears to be a notch or two up in quality. But, who knows? Anyone out there try either of these basses? I'm a little nervous about ordering them but damn, the price is right!