Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MusicYo string sets VS Carvin VS Fodera.

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Luis Fabara, Aug 31, 2000.

1. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    The strings I normally use are Fodera Diamond Series 6 string pack.
    I was thinking in getting the Carvin sets.. those sell just at $45 the 3 Set box. thats just $15 for a Set, and according to Bassplayer they are good.(Strings issue.. 5 String sets)
    I was visiting MusicYo web page and found that they sell 12 SETS for just $79 !!! Thats only $6.58 per set!! I was wondering if any of you has tried this sets, or would buy and tell me if those are any good. I just cannot afford to buy Fodera's everytime.

2. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    I haven't heard anything yet about the MusicYo strings. It is too bad that they don't sell sets individually, so that we could give them a try, before committing to 12 sets.

3. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Well... for the price I dont think its too risky to try...
    But Im gonna buy the Carvin's this time. I need a couple of sets and Carvin seems to be a good option. Specially because those are Nickel plated. (I like Nickel)

4. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    another option would be to get a certain number of Talkbass members together and split the cost of a package of strings. Even if people live far apart (in the U.S., that is), the cost of shipping the strings wouldn't be much more than $1.50. It's just a matter of getting the people together.

Will C.:cool:

5. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    I was thinking of that too. Then we could all try them and post our results. This would be a great way to find out how they sound on different basses.

6. Chris A

Chris A Chemo sucks!

Feb 25, 2000
    Manchester NH
    I, for one, like the Carvin strings. I should mention that they are taper-wound, though. You may need to modify your intonation to accomodate for that. I'm thinking about trying the tape wound strings that they offer one set at a time.

Chris A.:rolleyes:

7. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Lets do the Split!!!
    I already bought the Carvin Set... But will join the MusicYo spliting .

:)
    Btw... I LIVE IN ECUADOR!! hehe South America.
    So I think someone will have to send it to me to Miami, Fl for using a Courier service thats gonna send those to me.

8. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    How good are Carvin Strings???
    I bought the 0.28 0.40 0.60 0.80 1.00 1.28 Gauge...

9. Chris A

Chris A Chemo sucks!

Feb 25, 2000
    Manchester NH
    I get the 5's. I like the heavier guage. My Washburn doesn't like the taperwoundness of them, though. But my Carvin( go figure ) really likes them. I've tried the SIT taperwound strings on it( the Carvin) and they're just a bit to buzzy on there. So, that's the scoop.

Chris A.:rolleyes:

10. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    I'm in for the split. I'll take a couple of sets to try out.

11. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Eh... We are getting the Six-String package right?
    It is the Fit-All pack. (Unless you have a 7 string)
    I have only a six string bass.

12. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    The six string set is cool with me....:)

13. 5not4

5not4

Sep 7, 2000
    Flint, MI
    I've tried the Carvin sets and had about 50-50 results with them. The first set will last a long time then the next will go dead in a couple weeks. Very inconsistant.
    BTY, with the tapered ends you will have to recheck your intonation.
    They're still a good value for the price.