Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Musima (German Upright)

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by FanOfHaden, Sep 13, 2000.

1. FanOfHaden

FanOfHaden

Sep 3, 2000
    Does anyone have an opinion of Musima double basses? I'm looking at one that's about 5 years old. The front is carved, sides and back are laminated. Its price is about 3000. I'm sorry that I don't have many more details about it. It sounds pretty good.

I've searched the 'net but haven't found much about this brand. Mainly pages in German, Russian, etc. The Musima web site doesn't appear to be active, at least at this moment.

TIA

2. Musima is a German company that makes basses that are pretty much a copy of the Wilfer line. The bass that you are talking about sells new for around $4800. They are of
    decent quality,seem to play well,How does this one sound? I was not too impressed with the one that I tried in germany.
    But properly set up, it is very useable as a Jazz bass. I
    think you haven't heard too much about it because the
    Company keeps changing perssonel and they get their matierials from different places, so the quality is not the same from bass to bass. The bass that you have sounds like one made when Rubner was working for them, so it could be a good one. But I say again, how does it SOUND? Do you like it? Is it easy to play? Have you had someone else play it and listen to it from about 15-20 feet away? That is the best way to hear how a Bass really sounds.Just my .02

3. olivier

olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    Those prices are too high ! You can find one at http://www.okazic.com/aspokazic/fra_lir_anno.asp?No=1 for about $2.2k, all carved. A used, second hand ply Musima would sell at about half that price...
    Before the reunification of Germany, eastern made Musima were dirt cheap & low quality (it is said they were sold to the west for western currency). Since then, the quality has increased, so have the prices. Let's not exaggerate, student basses should trade at student prices.

4. olivier

olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    Sorry for the link above. You should put "contrebasse" in the search field, then browse to the first add with a photo.

5. FanOfHaden

FanOfHaden

Sep 3, 2000
    reedo35:
    I have limited experience, but this bass sounds okay to me, seems easy to play, and I like it. Of course, I was playing it so I can't judge how it sounds from several feet away. Its quality looks okay. It's a 3/4 bass. It has been set up for jazz and is ready to be played without requiring further work. The salesman says that it's a bass that a beginner could grow into and use for some time.

oliver:
    I searched that web site (www.okazic.com/...), but, unfortunately, all of the basses are in France. Do you think the quality of Musima's uprights could have improved since about 1995? I hadn't realized that the dollar had gotten so (relatively) strong against the franc ($1 buys 7.62944f). Was in the 5 to 6 range for several years.

6. olivier

olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    OK, Fan: on the Okazik site, the photo of the top add (from Paris) is of a good recent Musima, with a satin, dark type of varnish, while the guy from Toulouse sells an older one, with a glossy and brighter colored finish...
    I still think that 2 grands should be the max for this type of instrument which should be considered as the European equivalent of Kays/Engelhardt.

7. For that money you should be able to find an entry level
    carved bass. If you really want a plywood bass w/spruce
    top consider paying less money.

8. That was my other question that I forgot to ask, fan. Have you looked at any other basses in this price range, or do you like this one because it is there and available. Don't be too hasty,you might find something better at a cheaper price. And Olivier is right, sort of. Before the Wall went down, you could get a Musima in E. Germany for about $300.
    But I must restate that the company has changed hands many times since then and so has the quality of the instruments.
    That price that I got was from lemur, who are carrying the musima line. Also,I must say in retrospect that $3000 is kind of high for a used student model Bass.Maybe you could talk him down a bit?

9. FanOfHaden

FanOfHaden

Sep 3, 2000
    One shop had a Chromona(?) (Chinese bass) for a grand. He also might be able to get an Englehart EM-1 for $1500. This Musima I've seen has an "Instruments by Wilhelm Elgert(?)" sticker inside. Its serial number is somewhere around 29700.

Is this bass considered a student model because Musima makes student basses?

10. Chinese basses have a bad reputation for being cheaply made. For $1000, I would steer clear of that one. And yes,
    because I have always seen Musimas in high schools or as part of a string methods class, I guess I am generalizing them as student quality Basses.As for the Label, are you sure that isn't Wilhelm Elgart?(Which may be an abbreviation for Englehart?)

11. FanOfHaden

FanOfHaden

Sep 3, 2000
    Okay, I checked the sticker inside and it says "Quality Instruments by Wilhelm Eberle" and "Made in Germany"

From all the comments, it's starting to sound like this bass might be of slightly better quality than past Musimas (pre-1990, East German releases), and that, as far as 3 to 5 year old basses go, it's probably a student-class bass that's on the higher price end, since it's fairly new. It's a good looking bass, but it's sounding like I might be better off looking elsewhere.

BTW, thanks for yours and everyone else's opinions. You've been very helpful.

12. I know getting a good bass at a good price is not easy, but it can be done. You're in a good location where you can look around. Check out E-bay, or check out Bob Gollihur's bass links page,or maybe even call the local symphony cats, maybe they have some leads for you. Happy Hunting!

13. What are their 7/8's like?

14. Matt Ides

Matt Ides

May 12, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    Just recenlty got a Musima bass. After a set up at the luthier it is a great bass to start playing DB with and affordable. Shiny as hell though.

Matt

15. greene

greene

Dec 19, 2003
    New York City
    Ideal Music
    My experience with Musima basses from the people who have gotten them from me ... 100's OF THEM ... is basically the same as one of the other poster's here .. its a decent bass .. built like a tank, makes a good jazz bass, good bluegrass, no one has ever complained about the bass itself - they do about the finish or the tailpiece but from my experience they're pretty good and very reliable ... but of course it's always about what you hear when you play isn't it?

16. jonas

jonas

Dec 9, 2003
    Frankfurt am Main/Germany
    Lando Music (Germany)
    The eastern German manufacturer Musima has gone bankrupt last year or so.

17. Matt Ides

Matt Ides

May 12, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    It was made in Germany, but I would be enjoying the bass either way. Although, that is an interesting article and down the road I can see country of Origin becoming harder to identify with newer basses.

Matt

18. greene

greene

Dec 19, 2003
    New York City
    Ideal Music
    The name W Eberle was owned by my late father ... and now by me. I assure you that any bass with this label was and is a Musima bass MADE IN GERMANY. In no way are these basses made in China ...

19. Eric_J

Eric_J Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Flower Mound, TX. USA
    I purchased a new Eberle (Musima) fully Carved from Ideal last month for the price on bassesonline.com.

My teacher, who currently works for a local string shop (catering to schools), was very pleased with the instrument, especially for the price. I play 95% classical and 5% bluegrass.

As delivered it was quite playable. Much more open and easier to play than the rental plywood I had. We've changed the strings, it came with Piastro Chromcors, to Spirocores and adjusted the sound post. In 3 to 6 months we'll put on an adjustable bridge.

The bass is quite loud, partially the setup and the strings, partially being a carved bass.

My teacher says:
    1. The bass would get a music major through college.
    2. The top is a bit thick
    3. The 'mule' (sp) (Russian Style) joint on the top is very hard to get apart to take the top off.
    4. The bass is a bit heavy, especially low.
    5. It is built very strong, more durable than the Wilfers.

He also does repair at the string shop, so he sees a variety of basses on a regular basis.

20. Matt Ides

Matt Ides

May 12, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN

My Eberle (Musima) is from Ideal Music as well. They do come playable, Thanks Greene.

I then took it to Gages shop for a set up. New bridge with adjusters, plained fingerboard and also rounded (it came beleveled), new tailpiece wire, and realist pick up. The luthier had nothin bad to say at all. Actually said it was a great bass for the condition it is in and being 15 years old. It sounded pretty good going in and now it sounds even better. The bass has good sustain and a nice even sound, which of course helps w/ the Realist.

My dealing W/ Steve (Greene) and his Mom at the shop have been good. Greene is a stand up guy and selling legit instruments, not to be confused with the stuff on ebay (Low quality China basses).

Anyway, I am very happy with the bass.

Matt