Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Musings on a Sterling fretless.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Munjibunga, Jan 30, 2001.

1. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Since I don't care for football, I had Sunday afternoon free to go down to my favorite guitar store to goof off. (That's GC for the unenlightened.) They just move my local store to a new venue, so they had stocked up a little, and the chances of me seeing something without which I couldn't live were calculably higher than usual. (uhhh ... wut?) Anyway, I spotted a very nice looking sunburst Sterling fretless in the "teeny-slappers keep the hell out" room, and a brand-new SWR Super Redhead sitting on the floor right below it. Well, alrighty, then. What else could I do but go right in there and see what this fretless Sterling was all about?

I will cut directly to the chase. What an unremarkable sounding bass. Oh don't worry, I had plenty of time, so I tried everything. Bass flat, amp flat for starters. EQ the bass 200 ways. EQ the amp 175 ways. That's 35,000 combinations, and I COULD NOT GET HIGH off the sound. (Remember, I had all afternoon.) Oh, it's a fabulous-looking bass, but no mwah, no bark, no bite, no bottom. So there you are. That's just how I feel. That's all.

2. hmm.. I once played a fretless Sterling strung up with flats through a Super Redhead.. I dialed up something I thought might sound good on the amp, tweaked the knobs on the bass a wee bit.. and bam.. out came some of the best sounds I've ever had the pleasure of producing myself. That little incident made me decide to chase down a fretless Stingray 5.

Different strokes for different folks I guess. I always hate it when I get my hopes up to try a piece of gear and it turns out to be the total opposite of my expectations.

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    This one had roundwounds on it. Also, the action was a tad high. Some Jazz Flats and a setup, you never know. Maybe a whole different ball game.

4. i played a fretless sterling at a GC also, it did sound nice but i would agree didn't have much mwah. i usually play a pedulla buzz bass so maybe my views are tarnished. i know on the pedulla if i hit a harmonic on a string and slide it down the neck the mwah will blow you out of your seat.

5. Hmmm...my sunburst fretless Sterling is a mwah machine, with great tone. It's featured on my song "Walking With the Angels" at my MP3 site (click on link at bottom of my post). Here is a picture of mine:

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/ViewPhoto?u=1378898&a=10394683&p=36609122

I had Mike Lull put a poly coating on the board (shines like a Pedulla :) ) He set it up and strung it will med lite gauge Ken Smith roundwounds, low action. It's a superb player with tons' o tone.

Having said that, it doesn't surprise me that the Sterling didn't wag Munji's tail; a) probably not a great set-up from the sounds of it and b) it's OK not to like a bass you feel you're SUPPOSED to like. If it isn't you, it isn't you.

6. Slapster!!!! What a beyootifyl bass!! Thanks for the picture!!! Got GAS??!!!

7. Thanks, Willie :D

My GAS tank is empty! I've got four basses and two guitars...and a wife with no more patience :D

8. Sounds like you have a full house already!!Don't p*ss off the wife anymore acquisitions.I'm still biulding up my arsenal(us single people can do that,for now).Hee Hee.