1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Muskett fuzz with a blender

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by burno70, Nov 18, 2010.

1. I'm looking at blending a clean signal with my muskett fuzz. I want to get a Boss LS-2, but dimly recall reading something about the Muskett having a phased signal so it would need to be blended using something like an Xotic X-blender. I could well be wrong here - can anyone shed any light on this? Anyone use a Muskett v2 with an LS-2 before I go and buy one? Thanks.

2. khabalah

khabalah

Aug 3, 2010
    London
    i seem to remember a very happy musket owner (dont ask me who) that ran his through an sfx crossover mixer..

3. I have a Musket v2 in the loop of an LS-2. I don't normally run it blended, but in the few instances when I have, I did not detect any sort of phase cancellation issues.

4. BassBrass

BassBrass

Jul 6, 2009
    Boston MA
    I don't have a Muskett yet but I do use an Xotic blender for a Devi Ruiner (amazing combination). Yes, the Muskett was said somewhere around here to be out of phase. Unless someone chimes in with your specific info, the best way to find out is to try the XBlender with a Muskett and see what the phase switch does in each position. The LS2 has pretty poor fidelity compared to the Xotic (especially in bypass at high volume) and it (LS2) could sound "good" allowing the clean side to handle the lows. The Muskett is a pretty intense fuzz and even out of phase it might be fine, but with the Xotic, if it's out of phase you'll hear much more of the fuzz's low end when the switch is in the out of phase position. Overall volume is better too.

After this question was asked a few months ago I asked a few builders if certain fuzz's were in phase or not. Those that answered didn't seem to know or even know what I was asking. It was like I was asking a forbidden question. That never stopped me before... but it's still trial and error. I can tell you that the DE Ruiner is in phase and the Dark Boost and Karioki Party are out of phase.

5. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    I used the Musket in a Barge VB-Jr, and with the blend set to 50/50 there was major volume drop, especially in the lower frequencies. The X&M gets around it by separating the frequency bands so it doesn't matter if they're out of phase. I would go for an Xotic X-Blender which has a phase reversal switch and EQ!

6. me!

The x-over/mixer (SFX X&M) turns the musket into a whole different pedal for me

infact you can hear it here

Although I should mention that this was recorded on my girlfriends digital camera, then taken into windows movie maker, then taken into Youtube so theres countless compression and sh!t going on - it sounded absolutely brutal live. I've also my Tech 21 Leeds running INTO it and both running into my VTbass. So its not 100% representative, but you can get some absolutely slaying tones from it.

(ps excuse the end of the video, we go straight into a new song which we hadnt quite finished at the time)

7. Just watched the rest of your youtube vids. Awesome tunes, great tone, and stellar playing dude...

8. Robertron

Robertron

Feb 12, 2010
    NewYork, NY
    I run the Musket V2 in parallel with other pedals and never notice phase cancellation. My looper has a phase inversion switch that I don't ever feel I need to use with the Musket.

9. Cheers dude :D - you're welcome to download my bands album for free if you want (check my sig), 'door' is on there but i used a Colorsound Bass Fuzz then, also use my pog II alot on it (youthanasia part 1)

I've never noticed a phase issue whn blending - did manage to do a 1-on-1 comarisson with my gui****'s Earthquaker hoof fuzz - Musket 1, hoof 0 (on bass anyway)

10. Thanks for the replies. The X&M's do look ace as do the X-blenders but Budgets the biggest factor, I might try the LS-2 first and see what its like. Cheers.