Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Muslim TB'ers, what are you listening to?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Marlat, Apr 5, 2005.

1. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Just, you know, out of interest.

2. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    Eric B. and Rakim
    Dead Prez
    Gang Starr
    GZA the Genius.

3. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Be serious, guys. I'm actually quite interested to see what comes up. As a Christian, the other thread confirmed what I'd expected... a broad range of tastes although also picking some items out of the Christian music industry.

I'm fascinated to get an insight into how popular music interfaces with Muslim culture. For example, at the moment, I really couldn't tell you if there's an analogous Muslim music industry but I'd love to know!

Wulf

4. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Thread reopened, Banter removed, remember Rule #4* when posting, anyone with actual insight into the muslim music world feel free to post, otherwise, don't bother.

*break it and you will be iced.

5. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Here is a question I have posed in the Christian music thread and am interested in the answer in this one too:

Does the lyrical content of music prevent / encourage you to listen to certain music?

For example, I recently picked up an album called Nightmares Made Flesh by Bloodbath - some of the coolest metal I have heard in a long time. Now the lyrics are "questionable" in the message and content, but in the scheme of the music they suit it perfectly and result in some unbelievably good metal. I personally don't really care if the lyrics are anti-god, pro-god or completely secular when I listen to music, because its just one part of the song. But, does it make a difference to you?

Would you not buy something that you otherwise liked because of the lyrical content?

I'll put a caveat on this line of thought and say that there are certain things I would not buy, not so much because of the lyrical content, but because of the support it would give to certain causes (ie neo-nazi etc) - but I would distinguish acts that just have a persona (ie Iron Maiden etc) vs those who are actively supporting a cause that I don't agree with.

6. simpy1

simpy1

Mar 31, 2005
    New Zealand
    I don't think I'd buy any music in the 'christian' category, because "christian" isn't a style of music, it is a religion.

I buy music because it sounds good. I don't bother in the 'christian' section of music stores because those are artists that have used their religious beliefs to get into record stores, not their talent, even if some are not bad.

Take for example Ben Harper - amazing musician. He's not in the christian section, he is in the main section, and all his albums are there, because he is really, really good. So I have them all, and I think his lyrics are great, not matter what he's talking about.

So really, I don't mind what the lyrics are, but I am definitely not going to buy an album because of the lyrics...I buy for the music, and if it has good lyrics then that is a bonus.

7. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    For what it's worth, a couple of years ago in Nigeria, I heard some Yoruba Muslim videos that were similar in musical and perfomance style to gospel videos. This makes sense because the Yoruba people are a very mixed group with Christians, Muslims, and traditional worshippers, sometimes in the same family. Had I been Northern Nigeria where Islamic culture is more traditional, I wouldn't not have seen such videos. My point is that Islam, like Christianity is very diverse. Some Muslims don't play any music at all (Taliban for example), others have very active musical traditions.

8. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Karim Ziad, Ifrikya
    Sixun, Lunatic Taxi
    Aquarium Rescue Unit, In A Perfect World
    Jazz Pistols
    The Deep
    Jimmy Smith, The Sermon

9. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    That's exactly what I'd expect. I remember going into a Muslim bookshop in Birmingham once and being struck by how similar it was to what is for me the much more familiar ground of Christian bookshops.

There are some fundamental theological differences between the faiths but so much of the day to day practise has common ground (and we all like a good curry, which is why I was poking round those streets in the first place! ;) )

Wulf

10. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Yes there is, though I wouldn't say its as directly analogous, and of course it varies a great deal depending on where you are in the world and what branch of Islam you are talking about.

Two examples: one my good friends friends is Pakistani, grew up in Saudi Arabia, and is a semi-traditional Muslim (though to her family she is seen as too western, i.e. she lives by herself in a large city in the US, has a professional career instead of remaining in the care of her family until she marries, etc.) She's shown me several recording artists from Pakistan, India, and the UK which sound like pretty standard American pop rock, only with some tinges of middle eastern music thrown in for flavor. The lyrical content however is all very Islam oriented. I can't remember any of the specific artist's names but the combo was pretty simillar to a lot or Christian rock.

On another side of the coin is a young man my sister dated in college. He was a Pallestinian muslim and showed me an album by a rap group in his home town. It was very simillar to early NWA and Public Enemy, with much more of a political bent to the lyrics. The paralells to the american stuff were pretty direct: a feeling of being trapped by poverty, by violence, and by constantly living under a government who'd sooner see you dead or in jail than taking steps to improve your life or your community. We were discussing the political situation there and what it is really like (something you never heard on the news here in the US). It was a real eye opening expirience and I'm glad I had the chance to know him, breifly.

He was killed in a car bombing shortly after he returned home. He was the first member of his family to graduate from college and wanted to become a science teacher. Tragically he had the chance to remain in the US doing an internship, but wanted to go home and begin working in the schools there because there are so few qualified teachers. I think about him whenever I hear people discussing Mid-East politics because he put a human face on the issues that very few Americans have.

11. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Not to get too deep in this setting but ultimately we are talking about the same God. The God of Abraham and I'm with you on the curry! :)