Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

must a cabinet (powered schertler pub) be on floor ?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by myrick, May 25, 2003.

1. started using my schertler pub amp in a regular gig last night, leaving the more transport-friendly acoustic image for one-offs. there is a hole on the bottom of schertler amp, which I have assumed is a socket for a stand, but I wonder if the unit needs coupling with the floor to sound right?

raising it would allow us to place it behind me and drummer, achieving a monitor effect (no other PA on this gig right now). as it is, even though I get a lot of sound out of my bass, given the stage acoustics and sub-optimal geography the drummer and I cannot hear individual notes from my bass clearly enough, giving us timing problems and wreaking havoc with my intonation.

It seems to me that if the box is up high enough, mostly above the body of the bass and not really directly behind me, feedback won't be a problem, but I don't know how the sound will be affected. If I place it behind us but on the floor, I'm afraid the loudspeaker output will get the back of the bass resonating too easily. (Using a tailpiece-mounted mic only, no PU)

2. Damon Rondeau

Damon Rondeau Journeyman Clam Artist Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2002
    Winnipeg, baby
    Well, I'm not familiar with that amp, but I'd think that priority number 1 has gotta be hearing yourself.

3. scott reed

scott reed Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2002
    Memphis
    I've had good luck placing the cab on top of a
    plastic milk crate as well as on a speaker stand
    (schlertler sells one but many models will do).
    Getting it off the floor has helped the sound
    in a number of environments.

4. Monte

Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    I don't like leaving my Pub on the floor. I bought the Schertler floor support, which fits in the socket and lets you sit it on its side and tilt it up at a 30-45% angle.

I don't really think floor coupling is always a good thing, because it is so unpredictable. Also, your ears are nowhere near the floor.

Monte

5. Monte

Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    Hey Scott,

I guess you made it back ok. I just got back a half hour ago and am trying to wind down......

Monte

6. scott reed

scott reed Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2002
    Memphis
    Monte,
    Both bass and bassist arrived safely.
    Thanks for the chat!

sr

7. mje

mje

Aug 1, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    Putting a cabinet on the floor reinforces the bass by improving the coupling of the bass wave to the room boundry. This can give you an additional half-octave of bottom end.

If you don't need the extension, by all means mount the cab up higher if you like. Let your ears guide you.

8. Adrian Cho

Adrian Cho Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    I typically use my AI Coda for both the bass as well as vocals in anything from a duo to a quintet situation. I've recently found it's a lot better off the floor such as on a wooden chair. It acts as a monitor for the vocalist and I can hear myself better too. I was previously using it on the floor with the lifter to angle it up. I don't find mysef missing any bottom end as a result of decoupling it from the floor and in fact I find that with the mic (AMT) and the fundamental-heavy Pirastro guts, that sometimes the sound can be too muddy with the amp on the floor.

Adrian

9. I have an EA iamp 350 combo and have found in some situations it really sucks if you put it on a chair or crate.

It really sounds good on the floor but it all depends on the floor, room size/shape and where you are standing in relation to the amp.

I would love to have the amp four or five feet behind me when playing but that is hardly ever possible.

Don't you just hate those gigs when you have to have the amp by your foot, behind the bass or in front of you.

I blame the drummer

mrfeeny likes this.
  10. I saw a photo of stand holding a Pub 2/280 right above a Pub 1/380 on this french web site.

look up the Schertler amplifier page (amplificateurs

http://www.gougi.com/fr/

Do you feel the Schertler Pub 2/280 can handle very low notes (Bb on my xtended scale chapman stick) will it be able to handle fast amd strong transients from a stick. Do you ever play slapped electric with this rig?

Antony

11. poalf

poalf

Feb 27, 2003
    Phoenix, Az
    It looks like this thread died couple months ago, but....

I played with my PUB on a concrete floor for the first time this weekend and the open G had a resonance that wouldn't quit. I had to turn down to the point that I couldn't hear (I was still going through the mains to the house) I set it on a plastic chair for the second set and life was much better.

The next day I played it in my living and it sound like it usually does, with a small but annoying resonance on Bb. Being the band roadie as well, I grabbed one of our speaker stands, put the cab on it and the resonance was gone.

I'm getting a stand...

12. I know this is an old thread, but I've only recently visited (after many years) and I've found that a Gramma Pad is the solution to the problem of my bass cab (or that of the bass player in the band for which I'm doing sound) sounding "boomy" by coupling to the floor or stage. Many of the musicians who I've introduced to the Gramma Pad were so impressed that they now bring their own.

- Wil

13. Always, always blame the drummer! :D

14. TimmyP

TimmyP

Nov 4, 2003
    Indianapolis, IN
    The distances between the cabinet and any boundaries will determine the frequencies that will be notched out of the frequency spectrum from the cabinet. This can work against you (losing a desired part of the spectrum) or for you ( notching out a frequency that would otherwise be hot). Here's a chart:
    http://www.padrick.net/LiveSound/CancellationMode.htm

15. anyone try playing their bass on top of one of these?