Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Must Be Bass Envy or something!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Highpines, Feb 13, 2005.

1. One more post about my new rig....went fom going to practice with a "Kickback 15 Hartke" to a HA3500 and a 215XL and all I got from the band is why??......They thought it was overkill on my part to get such a much bigger rig..........Hey I'm not wanting to play louder , just wanted more souund...Ya Know?.....At one point during a break the guitarist picks up my Bass and starts to dial in the sound he would use....Hmmm...He is an exceptional musician and played Bass for many years, and I do understand that different types of music need different sounds but the first time with this large cab and amp I was alittle pissed cause I haven't had time to work with it much........Maybe their not used to beeing blown away.....anyway they are great friends and we play well together, just wondered if ant of you Bass Players felt that with a bigger rig the rest of the band felt alittle insecure...:)......Sorry such a Long post but other than that had a great day playing music today........

2. Haha, kind of funny. A couple years ago back before my band was really even a band my guitarist got a half stack.... Well just by him having one it made me fell like i had to have one as well. I think it always works like that, it wont be long before your guitarist gets one now im sure.

3. Bigger is always better when you are talking amps and feeling sweet and like a big man!

4. :)...Ya...I guess , never thought about it that way....hehehe

5. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    I can't count the number of times that I've been drumming in a band and a guitarist would show up to practice or a smaller gig with a 100 watt half stack or a bass player would show up with 1k watts and an 8x10, and then in their quest for "more sound" would make it so loud that I couldn't get through two songs without breaking a stick. It wasn't that I was insecure, it was that it was too freaking loud!

Not implying that this is your case of course.. but some of them might have had the same experience in the past. As long as you're not overpowering them, who cares what they think?

6. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    My feeling has generally been that big amps are for gigging. For practice I want only as much power as I need to be heard over the drums, which has meant a Peavy TNT115 combo, that's more than adequate for a garage or basement.