1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Must be fated!

Discussion in 'Welcome Forum - New Member Intros' started by Og Voss, Jan 25, 2020.

1. Og Voss

Og Voss

Jan 25, 2020
    Hey! I'm August. I'm feel pretty lucky finding this forum. I was just searching for how to look up serial numbers on a Fernandez bass I scored. I've mainly played classical guitar all my life but I played bass viol all through public school. I just bought this bass because it looked like a good deal and I've been wanting to have one around for no particular reason. But since I've been messing with it, I suddenly love it! It seems super nice so I'm going to learn to play it.lol
    It will be nice to have some experienced folks to talk to. Thanks for having me along. Peace!

Reedt2000 likes this.
  2. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Welcome to TalkBass!

Glad you found us.

Reedt2000 likes this.
  3. Reedt2000

Reedt2000 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    Welcome! :thumbsup:

I play guitar too but I've always found bass to be personally more enjoyable. When I realized it also got you a bunch of extra work I was hooked! (I taught so many extra lessons and have gotten more full-time and fill-in work cause I can read and play bass).

What bass did you get? Let's see some pics :D

4. Og Voss

Og Voss

Jan 25, 2020
    Thank you!

Reedt2000 likes this.
  5. Og Voss

Og Voss

Jan 25, 2020
    Thank you!

Reedt2000 likes this.
  6. delta7fred

delta7fred

Jul 3, 2007
    England
    Welcome to TB.

In the 60's I learned bass and guitar simultaneously, I fancied playing lead but always ended up playing bass because around here guitarists outnumber bassist by about 10 to 1.

I eventually did get my wish but soon realised that it is nothing special and was more than happy to swap to bass when our bassist quit. That was in the 90's and I haven't had the desire again.

I now play a bit of delta blues slide at open mic nights and acoustic guitar for my own amusement but that is the extent of my guitar playing. I play bass in 3 bands and sub in a 4th, not bad for an old git.

Reedt2000 likes this.
  7. Howdy!

Reedt2000 likes this.
  8. Malcolm35

Malcolm35

Aug 7, 2018
    Keep on keeping on.

9. Og Voss

Og Voss

Jan 25, 2020
    I can understand where you're at. I can see myself following that path too.

5StringBlues and delta7fred like this.
  10. Og Voss

Og Voss

Jan 25, 2020
    Thanks for the welcoming. I'm really excited about this. I found a Fernandez tremor 4 deluxe that looks brand new, never played, online locally for 175$. It's super fun and sounds so good! Ill find some instruction for a while at least. I've just been messing around getting used to the scale and intervals, getting used to bass clef again, learning the fingerboard. It's been a long time since I picked up another instrument than the guitar. Definitely excited. Peace

Reedt2000 likes this.
  11. Malcolm35

Malcolm35

Aug 7, 2018
    Guitar flows into the bass, if we do not strum, but, play the notes of the chord.

C=R-3-5
    Cm=R-b3-5
    C7=R-3-5-b7
    Cm7b5=R-b3-b5-b7

Roots first, then add the 5. After that add the octave 8. For R-5-8-5. Then start getting the 3's and 7's into your bassline.

Good luck.
    C7