Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Must... Dive... Bomb.... Aargh!!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Arch Giddle, May 21, 2002.

1. Okay, I've decided I must have something I can do dive bombs and other crazy whammyness with... here's the problem - the number of ways to do this on a bass are all awkward and expensive.

1 Buy a Bass with a whammy bar (No chance unless I see a Fender IV come up for cheap)
    2 Save a million billion quid and get someone like Ritter to build me one (then wait 9 months)
    3 Buy a Digitech Whammy (which are apparently really crappy these days and a lot of money for a little red box)
    4 Abuse my bass by bending the neck like Billy Sheehan (difficult as my current bass does not like me doing this to it)
    5 Learn to play a fretless (this requires a good ear for music doesn't it? I don't have one)
    6 Buy a Floyd Equipped G**tar and put some big fat wires on it in an attempt to make myself feel comfortable playing it (any idea how low i could tune a guitar of this kind?)

Anyway that's my problem. Come on, there must be millions of crazy Van Halen alikes out there that can help!

Thanks

2. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Digitech Whammy isn't so bad. At least, some of them are/weren't. Don't remember which ones are supposed to work best. Justin Chancellor uses one on the new Tool album.

3. misterk73

misterk73

Apr 11, 2002
    Flagstaff, AZ
    I had a similar yen not long ago and tried a Digitech Wammy for guitar -- it sounded like s#%t with my bass, not at all like the Bass Wammy that I once demoed and regretfully did not purchase. If a Digitech Wammy pedal seems like the best bet, save your hard-earned(?) cash and find a used Bass Wammy or Bass Wammy II -- they're tough to find these days and seem to be getting more expensive, though. Good luck!

4. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Umm, kind of about basses, sort of about effects.

Sounds like a thread for Big Wheel!!:D :p

5. You know, you can get a whammy-equipped bass without having to "Save a million billion quid and get someone like Ritter to build [you] one (then wait 9 months)." You can also buy a bass vibrato unit at a relatively low price and retrofit your current instrument. There are a few basses out there other than the Fender Bass VI (conventional basses) that offer these features for much less than a million billion quid. I can't really name any for you, as the type of basses with this feature don't exactly fit my tastes. However, I have seen them.
    I have also seen the hardware for sale, although I don't remember where or by whom it was manufactured. This is probably your best bet if you can make a fit on your current instrument.
    I'm sure there are plenty of bass-know-it-alls around here who can fill in the missing information.
    Good luck,
    Kenan

6. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Check eBay for a Kahler bass trem.

Kahler doesnt make them anymore so you cant get a new one unless your lucky enough to find one sitting around in its packaging from the 80's.

I think I've even seen them in 5 string sizes.

They often end up in the $200's, so they arent cheap, but if you must have one you must have one.

Oh yeah Les Claypool has them on a couple of his CT basses.

Good luck with your search.

Peace
    Nick

8. not quite Flea

not quite Flea

Oct 19, 2001
    NZ
    take the frets out of your bass

9. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I think someone recently started making a Bass Tremola again. The only thing is if you want to bend notes down, you'd need a realy high action so the strings don't touch the frets by becoming loose.

Stu Hamm uses an old Digitech whammy I think.

10. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Could you find out who makes them?

Peace
    Nick

11. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Pork Products was for a while but I can't find them now - think they are out of business.

12. i like the way you think. :D