Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

"must" for rack?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rockindoc, Feb 8, 2003.

1. rockindoc

rockindoc Daily Lama

Jan 26, 2002
    Bonham, Tx
    I'm sorta new at racking separates. I have a 4 space rack, a 2 space power amp, and a 1 space Alembic F1-X. I'll be adding a second Acme B2 soon. I play 5 string, almost entirely two-fingerstyle. I don't plan to get a rack tuner, and a rackable power conditioner is not high on my list. Any suggestions for the empty 4th space? Compressor? Alembic SF2? Leave it empty?

OBTW, I do have an unused ART tube mic preamp (1 space). Other than its' OutPutLimiting & variable presets, I don't know if it's worthy of that last rackspace. Any Ideas? Thanks

2. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    well... I know you said you didn't plan on getting a rack tuner.. but I suggest reconsidering... they are very usefull.. especialy if you get a decent one

3. How about some fluff?

Light Thingys

[​IMG]

Lights = good.

Tuner = good.

4. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    If you don't really want anything else in your rack you can just leave it empty. It's not gonna hurt anything. You could also try a rack drawer to fill up the last space. it'll probably be just big enough to keep all your cables in.

5. Er0

Er0

Jan 15, 2003
    St Louis MO
    i would seriously looking into getting a tuner or a power conditioner

6. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i'd suggest that it would be a good idea to get a rack tuner as well.

if not, you can get a single space lockable rack shelf to hold stuff.

7. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    If you need some variations in tone or play both fretted and fretless, I'd recommend some sort of EQ.

The Alembic SF-2 superfilter is supposed to be very good. A close friend of mine who uses an F1-X, a Crown CE2000 and a pair of Acme B2s swears by his four band Behringer semiparametric EQ. The bands are individually switchable so you can dial in slap tone, fretless tone (i.e. 800 Hz boost) etc. easily. Plus, they're under $100 brand new at GC or zzounds.com

8. arose11

arose11

Sep 30, 2002
    Kalamazoo, MI
    what does a power conditioner do?

9. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    The "cheaper" power conditioners such as the Furman PL line are basically glorified power strips. They have a bunch of outlets on the back that you can plug all your stuff into, and provide surge/spike protection and most provide EMI/RFI filtering of some sort.

There are also power regulators or conditioners that will take an input voltage within a certain range and regulate it to a constant 120 volts. These start at around $500 though.

10. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Leave it empty. If you're anything like me, somethings gonna leap out at ya and say "Buy me Buy me" and you will of course buy it. You won't have to go through the delima of "but I haven't got room in my rack.. I could pull something out". But you won't know what to pull out so you'll have to post another thread on TB titled "what should I pull out of my rack". And then another one asking "Where can I get a cheap 6 rack unit case". Then another one saying "I've got a 6RU with an empty space, what should I put in it?".......... :)

11. rockindoc

rockindoc Daily Lama

Jan 26, 2002
    Bonham, Tx
    Thanks for the input. All good. Petebass,you cracked me up :D.

12. mclaud

mclaud Guest

Oct 25, 2000
    portugal, lisbon
    Get a 3 space rack... problem solved

13. amper

amper

Dec 4, 2002
    US
    I'd add a vented blanking plate between the preamp and power amp to allow for ventilation, but then I recommend vents above and below anything that generates a lot of heat. SKB makes their RollX racks in 3, 4, 5 and 6 space versions...I've got my 1U SWR 'Stella in a 3U RollX with vents above and below, and my 3U SWR Power 750 in a 5U RollX with vents above and below. The wheels and handle really help in transporting (especially the Power 750).

14. arose11

arose11

Sep 30, 2002
    Kalamazoo, MI
    thanks Phat ham:D

15. lowfreqguy

lowfreqguy

Oct 18, 2000
    An Alembic SF-2. I just put one in my four space rack along with my F1-X, DPC 1000 power amp and Furman power conditioner/tuner combo. This little rack is killer. I didn't know all of the things an SF-2 could do, but found a thread in the effects forum that really explained what it could do. After I tried one, I just had to get one. Happy hunting.

16. Lonnybass

Lonnybass Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2000
    Minneapolis by way of Chicago
    Endorsing Artist: Pedulla Basses
    I'd definitely recommend adding an EQ to your rig, preferably parametric. As a devotee of the Alembic F-1x myself, I've found that its tonal flexibililty has been increased dramatically by the addition of a versatile 5-band parametric EQ.

It's especially helpful for dialling in midrange boost to compensate for the F-1x's natural scoop. I've gotten great results through my 2 Acme B2's by boosting 400 Hz for fingerstyle and 850 Hz for fretless. It definitely helps the F-1x's tone which is already perfect for funk'n/slappin'. And the ease of punching a single button to dramatically change your tone from bass to bass is AWESOME!

Lonnybass

17. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Geezzzz Lonny you're freaking me out... I didn't even mention your name this time and you found this thread...

18. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    I agree with the people that say "leave it open". I bet within one month you'll see something you've 'gotta have' in it.

A couple of suggestions tho:

Since you have an F1-X and those look kinda basic in the EQ department, a parametric EQ would be a very good idea.

BTW...no one has mentioned a compressor...you might want to consider one of those as well.

19. rockindoc

rockindoc Daily Lama

Jan 26, 2002
    Bonham, Tx
    Then how about the Joe Meek VC6Q. Compressor AND "meequalizer"?

20. amper

amper

Dec 4, 2002
    US
    That fits into the category of 1U mic preamps/tracking channels, which usually include a preamp, a compressor, and an EQ section, sometimes more. It's a great little unit, but personally, I went with the VC1Qcs, which is essentially the same electronics in a 2U package with a real, analog VU meter. I heard the meter on the VC6Qcs, which is a small LED array can be tough to use.