Must-go places for a bassist travelling to TEXAS, especially in Houston

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Mr M, Jan 3, 2002.

1. Instead of making a search at the search machines I think it's better to take your comments. Could you help me?

I'm planning to come to Houston in february. Are there any big musical instrument shops (I'm sure there are), can you give me their names and address or webpages, where would you suggest me to go?

Anywhere near Houston is also welcome as I'll have the chance to travel around in TX.

Any other place that a stranger should go in Houston or TX (letting beside the bass things)?

Thanks in advance...
  2. Houston has tons and tons of music shops (from what I hear). Just like any other city, the best ones are the small shops that few people know about. The only club I've been to that I liked is Fitzgeralds. Mostly punk. I'm not particularly fond of Houston. Now Austin is another story...
    Named the "music capital of the world", you can pretty much go see a live band any night of the week at any time. SXSW or south by southwest, is Austin's big event for music, film, theatre, art. Something like 500 bands playing over 4 days. This takes place in March, usually around the weekend of the 15th, 17th, something like that. Austin has some pretty good music shops. Ray Henning's Heart of Texas on South Lamar is where SRV bought his number 1 (which he actually never paid him for). Strait Music is another store that has come a long way. A friend of mine works there, and they have a pretty good staff. Eric Johnson frequently visit there, as do many other good local acts. is a local zine that pretty much has everything you want to do in Austin. Lots ans lots of live music venues!!!
    Texas is kinda funny. There's Austin...then there's the rest of Texas (sorry guys). I feel like Dallas, Fort Worth, Houston has a ot of yuppies. Austin is more liberal. So, depending on your iinterest, it's your call.
    BTW Austin is about 160 (depending where you are) from Houston.
    I'm sure there are many great places in Houston, but not my cup of tea...
  3. ...for got to mention that for us Texans, traversing a couple hundred miles to see live music or visit a friend or so is a normal thing.
    El Paso is the half way point between Austin and L.A. ...
  4. Well if you of a guy named Scott McGill playing anywhere, you owe it to yourself to go see this guy. He plays bars regularly in the Beaumont area (1 1/2 hour drive from Houston) and this guy if phenominal. If he's playing anywhere in Houston and you like blues, check him out. Seriously, this guy could stand toe to toe with Clapton.

And if you do happen to see him, drop a nice tip in the tip jar and request All Along The Watchtower. I'd go so far as to say he plays it better then Jimi... :eek:
  5. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    ask for jrthebassguy... he will show you a good time and let you ride his car along with some blink 182 tunes right on his car stereo

6. Haha dave....too bad I don't have a car :(

Hey Mr. M, I live in a suburb southeast of Houston (called Deer park). If you want to see live music, theres Fitzgeralds, Engine Room, Javajazz, and a few others.

For music stores, theres 2 Mars Music stores around Houston (music megastores, man). There are also 2 guitar centers in the area (one of which is fairly close to me). check out or and you can find their exact address and locations there. Theres also a bunch of "Mom and Pop" kinda stores, but most of them have very crooked salesmen, and I wouldn't step foot in one unless i had to.

If you need anymore help, just PM me when you are in town or something and I can give you my phone number or something.
  7. I remember Houston clubs being expensive for crappy shows...

8. Depends on whose playing, and at what venue. If you know an awesome local band who gets into a place like Fitz, Engine Room, Numbers, etc. it can be very cheap for good entertainment.
  9. Hey, is numbers a Goth club? I've heard stories about that place. (Knowing the source they're probably all lies.)
  10. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    oh sorry, ask your parents about it... tell them is a "talkbass emergency"... they will understand :D

BTW:hey i visited your site, nice poetry there... you need more pictures of yourself.

11. Let's see....Weezer has played there, as well as Sum 41, Vandals, and Gob. I've never visited it personally, but I assume that if it really is a goth club, its only like that on local band nights probably.

I don't even have my license....texas state law is 15 for a permit, and 16 for a real license....I'm 15, but I haven't taken any driver's courses yet.

Which site did you visit? My band site or my poetry site? I haven't updated my poetry site in months....I didn't even know people still went there....I have several poems in my room that arent even on there. I guess I may start updating the site again. :)
  12. John Davis

John Davis Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    Houston is cool, but I only really go to two music stores, the Mars in Memorial City and House of Guitars @ West Rd. and HWY 6.
  13. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    1.-the one on your profile
    2.-Poetry site i guess
    3.-well i was the 199th person to visit
    4.-yeah you promised the "Book 2" on the entrance
    5.-you go do that updating! :)
  14. Grrrrrr :mad: , I really do hate this, I wrote a good reply, with my replies to every single TB'ers replied here and when I tried to send it, it showed me "Log in" error and all the things I wrote disappeared :( Here is a shorter one ;(

Thank you all, it helped me a lot.. Beside Houston, I'm planning to go to Austin and maybe San Antonio for my 4-5 days in TX. Then I'll move to Mexico City. Dave Castelo, are you from MC? If so could you say where I should check in MC?

@jrthebassguy: I'll try to send PM if I'll have an internet connection there..Thanks

Again thank you very much...