Must-go places for a bassist visiting Dallas/FW

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by MarkMcCombs, Jan 3, 2002.

1. following up on the Houston thread, I'm gonna be in Dallas for a couple of days on business, and always like to schedule some time to check out some good music stores, and clubs (no punk,goth, metal please). Where should I go? Embellisher, aren't you in the area?

2. Music stores:
    • Larry Morgan Music - This is the nicest store in town, IMHO. They carry some pretty high-end stuff and they're quite knowledgeable (sometimes pretty snobby, but you can tune that out). Some makers carried: Modulus, Alembic, Rob Allen, Aguilar, Epifani, Bergantino. 1809 South Garland Avenue, Garland, TX 75040, (972) 864-8584.
    • Speir Music - These guys are just down the road from Larry Morgan - a big advantage in such a spread-out town! They also carry a good amount of high-end stuff, but they're a bit more down-to earth than the guys at Larry Morgan. Some makers carried: Lakland, Zon, G&L, Roscoe, Bag End, SWR. 510 S. Garland Ave., Garland, TX 75040, (972) 272-1700.
    • Plenty of Guitar Centers and Mars - nothing worth a trip, IMHO.

Clubs:(all can be found in Deep Ellum - just east of downtown)
    • Gypsy Tea Room - the best venue in Dallas, IMHO. Great room, great sound, pretty strong bookings with the occasional national/regional gem. Me like.
    • Sambuca - a bit cheesy, but it still has some of the best live jazz in town. The people watching is pretty solid, too. :D
    • Adair's - ignore my last name (no affiliation) and understand that this is a Dallas landmark. Bikers. Lawyers. Pool. Shuffleboard. Elvis. Good to amazing live real country/alt-country. Cheap beer.
    • Trees - considering a tattoo or piercing? Perhaps an exciting hair color? See it all here. Oh yeah - a good band now and then.
    • Club Clearview - see Trees, add in more variety and people variance. Still pretty solid.

I hope this helps! :)
  3. Sofa King

Sofa King

Aug 20, 2000
    Rowlett, TX
    There's also a store next to Speir Music, I can't remember what it was called. It wasn't that fancy of a store, and I don't remember seeing many highend basses, or actually many basses at all. But I was also just first looking for a bass, so there could have been a few nice ones there I didn't know about. I did play a Cirrus 5 while I was there and it was pretty nice :)
  4. Thanks, Danny, that helps. I was in Deep Ellum a few years ago. I can't remember which bar it was, but I saw the most awesome blues guitarist play, and he was fretting the notes with the mic stand at one point, awesome!
  5. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
    come hang out with me, i need friends :( :D theres some cool guitar shops around the area..
  6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Zoo Music. Since it is right next door to Speir, I would check it out. They normally have between 40 and 60 basses in stock, including several Cirrus, and a few Pedullas. They also occasionally have some cool used stuff, I've played 2 Roscoes, a pre Gibson Tobias Classic, and a pre Kramer USA Spector there in the past.

Danny mentioned pretty much everything else, but one GC worth checking out is the one in Arlington, if you get out that way. They have a lot better selection of basses than most of them, and a good selection of nice amps to plug into. The GC on N Central Expressway & Southwestern has some nice stuff too.