1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Must-have albums - help me out!

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by SoVeryTired, Feb 15, 2013.

1. SoVeryTired

SoVeryTired Endorsing nothing, recommending much

Jul 2, 2011
    Milton Keynes, UK
    I've come to bass relatively late in my musical life (been playing guitar for around 20 years, wind instruments before that) and I realise that my music collection is lacking in good bass! I hear many artists and albums mentioned that I've never listened to.

So, assuming you were talking to someone with no existing music collection, what five albums would you tell them to get to really hear what bass is all about?

I'll collate the responses and act on it - thanks in advance. :)

2. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Jaco Pastorius by Jaco Pastorius
    What's Goin On by Marvin Gaye
    Umm.......Abbey Road/Let It Be (Naked)/every album by the Beatles
    Thick as a Brick by Jethro Tull
    Any one of the good Motown collections.

3. SoVeryTired

Jul 2, 2011
    Milton Keynes, UK
    Thanks for the starter! It'll be interesting to see how many albums get repeat mentions. I'm expecting quite a range based on people's own musical preferences and that's cool - all genres welcome.

(Did I mention I don't own any Beatles? Yes, really.)

4. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    +1 and get anything from the band 311 the bass is very prominent to their sound and of course the Red Hot Chili Peppers,Muse and the Clash.

5. SoVeryTired

Jul 2, 2011
    Milton Keynes, UK
    Specific albums?

I've got Muse covered - well, up to the last two albums where I lost interest.

6. SirMjac28

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    Ahhh... Say again? :) grab Revolver.

7. SirMjac28

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    I would grab the greatest hits from each of those groups to save time and money my favorite 311 song is Amber has a great bass line.

8. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

Aug 16, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    Weather Report - Black Market
    Parliament - Funkentelechy Vs. the Placebo Syndrome
    Electric Wizard - Dopethrone
    Hypnos 69 - The Eclectic Measure
    Black Sabbath - same

This should get you covered in a very broad range of styles... from funk to bluesy to proggy to doomy sludgy.

Left out the obvious recommendations like anything Jamerson, Yes, Beatles etc.

9. SoVeryTired

Jul 2, 2011
    Milton Keynes, UK
    The obvious recommendations are probably what I'm after. The stuff that's obvious to anyone that's been a bass player/listener for years but not to me!

So hit me with those obvious recommendations, and please mention anything that's already been written by someone else - i want to see which five get the most mentions.

10. VeganThump

VeganThump

Jun 29, 2012
    South Jersey
    For me, as far as bass tone and bass playing in general goes, the first 2 Led Zeppelin are pretty much as good as it gets.

11. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

Aug 16, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    Alrighty then...

Seconding rec. of What's going on by Marvin Gaye (pro tip: look for the Detroit Mix)

The second Led Zep record.

Tool - Lateralus

RHCP - Californication (I personally can't stand listening to it on loop but it is certainly a record with a big influence on young bass players the world over. If you look past the Flea slap stereotype you'll see his playing is not as one-dimensional as lots of folks make it out to be)

Still standing by my Black Sabbath recommendation though Paranoid is all kinds of awesome too. Though that is most likely a recommendation one makes to someone who has lived under a rock lol, bet you knew these already duh! :p

12. SoVeryTired

Jul 2, 2011
    Milton Keynes, UK
    Thanks - I'm all for the 'lived under a rock' recommendations! Just because I'm aware of a band doesn't mean I own anythign by them or have really listened to the bass (see also: Beatles). :)

13. AuntieBeeb

AuntieBeeb

Dec 12, 2010
    London
    There are probably five Who albums I could list, but that would be highly unimaginative and not all that helpful. So:

The Who - Quadrophenia
    (exceptional "lead bass" playing on several songs, and great basslines in others. To be honest, any album from Tommy through Who Are You is essential listening.)
    John Coltrane - Ole Coltrane
    (double basses, not guitars, but the title track is a superb demonstration of what the low end can do in the right settings!)
    Motorhead - Overkill
    (a bit like Quadrophenia, demonstrates that the bass needn't just be the thing that goes "bom-bom-bom" at the bottom of the mix)
    Hawkwind - In Search of Space
    (play through good speakers. Good but not over-complicated basslines that will make your home shake like Chelyabinsk (too soon?))
    Black Sabbath - any one of their first 4 albums
    I'm going to second the Sabbath recommendations because the bass playing is excellent. It is, however, kind of buried under Tony Iommi's colossal guitar sound on a lot of tracks. But if you listen out for it, the basslines are great. I'd say get Paranoid, put into some good speakers and skip ahead to Hand of Doom. Wonderfully ominous bass that sadly gets lost in my headphones!

14. mcm

mcm

Oct 2, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    agreed. overkill by motrhead kills, and any of first 4 sabbaths

15. Volpe25

Volpe25

May 5, 2012
    Ireland
    Led Zeppelin I - IV
    The Who - Live at Leeds
    Cream - Any album Jack Bruce plays on
    Victor Wooten - A show of hands
    (The next is more a guitar based album but the bassist/cellist (subtly) carries the songs she plays on amazingly. Plus one of my favourite albums I've ever heard not from a bass point of view)
    Ben Howard - Every Kingdom

16. SoVeryTired

Jul 2, 2011
    Milton Keynes, UK
    I'm going to disqualify Ben Howard. But only because I've been playing that album to death for over a year. :D

17. i find it funny that we bass players all have a similar taste in music somehow. each post contained at least one album i'd recommend too.

stevie wonder - my cherie amour (amazing james jamerson and the best work of benny benjamin imo)

love power peace - james brown ('71 live album bootsy and clyde)

tales of kidd funkadelic - funkadelic (mosson and brailey)

survival - bob marley (fams redefining reggae bass, super funky)

crusaders - street life (multiple bass players including james jamerson jr. and alphonso johnson

also, but already mentioned: marvin gaye what's going on. and any marvin gaye album before '72. especially his duets with tammi terrell.

18. "Quadrophenia" again
    Miles Davis: "Kind of Blue" + any of the quintet recordings
    James Brown: "Star Time" box set
    Stevie Wonder: "Talking Book," "Innervisions," "Fulfillingness' First Finale" and "Songs in the Key of Life."

(More than 5, but who cares.)

19. Bisounourse

Bisounourse

Jun 21, 2012
    Gent, Belgium
    Marvin Gaye: What's Going On
    Jaco Pastorius: Jaco Pastorius
    Led Zeppelin: Live At The BBC (live highlights from Volume I, II and III)
    James Brown: Startime (Ok, it is a 4 CD box, but so what, Disc 2 and 3 are the essence of how funk grow and what it was all about).
    Soft Machine: Third (very tasty basslines by Hugh Hopper, although it is not really a 'classic' album).

20. SoVeryTired

Jul 2, 2011
    Milton Keynes, UK
    Kind of Blue is in my jazz collection.

(Who am I kidding - it is my jazz collection.)