Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

must...have...Alembic...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by cole, Jun 16, 2001.

1. cole

cole

Sep 14, 2000
    Maryland
    well, I stopped by a music store today for a few minutes (for those of you playing along at home: I never go to music stores!), saw an Alembic Orion, and just had to try it out. aside from the store attendant doing the requisite crap..er..slapping, it was _great_! balanced perfectly on my knee (I play sitting down), sounded wonderful, and played like buttah. man, I gotta get me one o' those! (if only I had the money...)

anyone else like the Orion?

2. grooveguru

grooveguru

Sep 14, 2000
    Central PA
    Hey, I just got my first Alembic. Best investment I ever made. The more you get used to it the more you'll like it. Just do it!

3. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Cole,

Email me offline and I can put you in touch with a guy who's selling a 5 string Orion at a decent price. Or go to the Alembic Club and post your interest. He'll see it.

http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/alembic

Peace,

James

4. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    I'm currently saving up for a bass right now, and the Orion is on the short list. Very cool bass.

5. cole

cole

Sep 14, 2000
    Maryland
    thanks for the offer, but I don't have the money right now, and I only play 4-strings.

6. alembicbones

alembicbones

Nov 10, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    Cole,

Bass Northwest is has quite a selection of Orions in stock right now. They're quality people and can be trusted if you're out of the Seattle area.

Here's a key feature to insist on with this bass. Get the Orion w/ the Europa electronics package. In essence, the Orion is a Europa with a set neck as opposed to a neck through. In fact, there's a 6 string thats been sitting around for a while that I used when Test Driving speaker cabinets. It's a wonderful sounding bass.

Happy hunting,

Bones

7. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I hear Kawai makes a mean Alebic copy. I've played a Kawai, and it was really nice. I unfortunatly have not played an Alembic to compare it to...and the Kawai is a heck of a lot easier on the wallet...

8. yeah, there's one on Ebay right now.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1439930918

9. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    That's one Ugly Kawai...The one I played was a maple/walnut number that had a five peice neck, and claro walnut wings...oh man, was that sweet...that? Thats kinda ugly, actually...but they are a pretty darned good bass, if you ask me..

10. alembicbones

alembicbones

Nov 10, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    Cole,

A Kawai is a copy, pure and simple. While it might be a fine bass in it's own right, and a decent copy, it is not an Alembic.

There are many factors that make an Alembic, sound and feel like an Alembic. If an Orion is really what you want, save your pennies and buy one when the time is right.

Just my opinion,

Bones