1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Must have book for bassist

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Helstar, Apr 9, 2006.

1. Helstar

Helstar

Nov 26, 2005
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey gang I just bought a book from the recomendation of David Ellefson the bassist foe F5, formally with Megadeth for over 15 years.. Vitor Wooten Wooten, and Steve Bailey also endorse this book....many others as well but these a few of the key ones.
    Anyway the book is called "The Bassist's Guide to Injury Mangement, Prevention and BEtter Health". Written by RAndall Kertz, D.C.
    I got the book from bass books.com. It was like 24 dollars all together after shipping or you can get it from his web site at http://www.drkertz.com the book is small and a quick read and I only found it on his wrbsite and bass books .com
    look into it I like it and feel it was worth the money

2. sync00

sync00

Nov 23, 2005
    Does the book happen to mention sore muscles in the upper outside left arm (I'm right-handed)? I developed this when I started playing bass a few months ago and now it is so bad I can't play. I'm not sure if the problem was created from playing or something else.

3. IanStephenson

IanStephenson UnRegistered User

Apr 8, 2006
    You'd need to read the book, and see what applies to you. There are a few things covered which it might be depending on the nature of the pain.

I found the book really usefull, not for diagnosing a specific comlaint (though it was my wrist problems which prompted me to buy it), but as a kick start to taking care of myself generally: I was pretty happy with my technique to start with, and most of the things I've changed have been away from the instrument - my computer setup, and the positions i usually sleep in. I also added a warm up routine to my practising, before I touch the instrument - START DOING THIS NOW... It stops you hurting, AND IT MAKES YOU PLAY BETTER.

So far so good - I'm definatly doing better. Having taken a few minor ideas from the book, and changed the way I do a few small thing, I can confidently take on a two hour set without feeling I'm risking my physical health (of course falling down drain two days before my first outing with the new band was NOT good for my physical health).

Ian

4. ebe9

ebe9

Feb 26, 2006
    South Africa
    Bass Guitar for Dummies

^^Pretty decent book for the beginner to intermediate range

5. thewanderer24

thewanderer24

Apr 29, 2002
    SJ, CA
    The book is a good one. I own it. If you have real problems with pain from playing, though, you should see a Dr., get physical therapy, and get a good teacher to analyze your technique.