Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Must have crappy gear to play punk?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by BoognishMang, Feb 5, 2002.

1. ...is what a friend asked me.
    Well, my response was: most punk musicians don't have the $$ for really nice gear. Most nice basses cost quite a bit of money, but occasionally you come across a really, really good deal.
    I think I have really good gear. I've worked hard for it. I take care of it. No stickers, no major scratches or dings. I know i haven't gigged much, but it makes me think some people look for crappy gear so not to become an outcast from the punk society. I can count the instruments I've seen at punk shows that are in decent condition.

That gets me to thinking about someone's respect for their instrument. I don't baby my instruments, but I don't pull a Pete Townsend either.

2. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    Im currently in a punk band and I think my gear is pretty damn nice for a 17 year old. You can check my profile for my current setup. Ive been in anything from metal to mellow jam type music. I think its pretty damn foolish to say I play this type of music so I need this type of a setup. I am in no way calling you foolish, sorry if I came off that way. I also think its a pretty stupid stereotype that punks need to be, for a lack of a better term, poor.

3. you're coming at it from the wrong angle: it's not necessary to have great gear to play punk. so why get it?

4. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Well, I'm no punk, but I know what he means. To spend 3000K on some Gibson really isn't "Punk", while on the other hand, most of us want nice gear. Kinda a doubly standard. heck I know a guy (in WA) who bought an $800 Strat, and then went back, and sanded off the Fender Decal, and got a hold of a Squire one. When asked about this it was because "Man, $800 isn't punk" same guy bought a brand new marshall stack and proceded to cover it in stickers, knife it, and kick the crap out of it, even before he played a single show, just so people would think he had some old beater...Yeah, he had too much money, and not enough sense.

Me? heck, by coincidence, the stuff I like is expensive. Eden, MTD (well, budget line Kingston, but who's counting?) and the like....

5. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    Is it really necessary to have great gear to play any genre of music? Who says what’s punk? If I see some "punk" with a 3k Gibson, I would think he has a nice taste in guitars. Why label or make judgements on people based on their gear. I would rather let my ears be the ones making the judgements. These guys that beat the crap out of their gear so they could be “punk” really are missing what it’s all about. It doesn’t matter what gear you have, how much dough you have in your pocket, or how you or you stuff looks. Those people really feel the need to fit in or to belong to something when they are actually completely missing the point. I personally am embarrassed to be associated with the punk genre because of these people.

6. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    To use an example, Matt Freeman of Rancid apparently thought for awhile that he HAD to use crappy gear. Then he got sick of his basses falling to pieces on the road, so he went out and bought some Fender J's and an SVT-II.

7. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2000
    Karl Alvarez and Steve Eggerton from ALL/Descendants play Ernie Ball guitars and basses. Before that I believe that they used to play Fender.

8. red-hot-bassist

red-hot-bassist

Sep 18, 2001
    glasgow
    yeah Billie Joe, the ahem..godfather of whining punk ass america, well he is endorsed by gibson

9. It used to be that punk rock was not something played by middle america teenage kids. Most punkers came from lower class roots, and were usually playing pawn shop or hand me down gear. Most of these guys would have loved to have nice new gear, and usually bought it when they could.

The problem these days is that really expensive (translated: boutique) gear does not sound very good for punk/garage/indie rock. Think of it this way - would you wear a pair of $1000 Dolce and Gabanna shoes to go hiking in? Probably not. But would you wear a $100 pair of Timberland hikers? Sure. Why? Because while the D&G shoes may be crafted better and more refined, the Timbos are more suited and practical for hiking. You also have to remember that punk rock usually involves a bit more chaos than jazz, and you don't necessarily want to spend $3K on a bass or guitar that's going to get banged around every weekend.

And think about it - if you're playing punk rock, what could possibly sound better than an old P Bass and SVT stack?

10. Must have crappy gear to play punk?

Crappy gear and even more important...
    that you play like crap too.

And don't bother knowing anything about theory or reading... you must develop a distinct distain for such nonsense.

Why buy good gear that's going to be hit with flying objects and spit.

11. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    I would expect more of an open mind from one of the older members of TB.

There are some very talented punk bands out there, maybe if people opened their ears and explored the genre they would see whats really out there. Of course there are some punk bands that are complete garbage, that have no talent what-so-ever. Sometimes you have to dig a little bit to find the good stuff, but whatever continue to live in ignorance.

12. WOW! alot happens when I fall asleep (working nites).

My point was that why most so called punk bands, blink 182, etc, (i see objects being thrown at me) get most of their gear given to them by sponsors, emdorsments. I recently saw a kid (18) just jamming away on a very nice torqoise Rik, it showed wear but none intentionally.
    Talked to him after the show and he metioned how he saved all his summer job money. I could tell he was proud of his bass cuz I never brought up the subject. Just wanted to tell him that he rawked out and keep on playing.

I believe that punk is more about fun. Just a couple of guys/gals rawkin' out after a long day job. Not about how technical someone can play, or their finger-playing style, or how much the paid for their gear.
    Expensive gear is nice to play on, don't get me wrong. I feel fortunate to play on nice gear. I have a friend at a music store where I get serious discounts. But not everyone has that friend.

As far as the dude trashing his gear...
    thats a sad story.

I totally agree with Matthew West.
    My side is: The parents of theses angry suburban kids (limp bizkit, etc) can afford to buy them expensive gear.

As far as Donne's comment...
    hmmm. Robert Johnson didn't know anything about muzak teeoree. I think I kinda heard something about him playing a little bit of blues, and quite well from what I hear.

I mean really guys/gals...
    Is it about arepeggios, Lydian flat-7 scales (yes i looked that up in a book).
    Not trying to start a riot, but why can't we just, including my self, accept other peoples styles.

Peace out.
    :cool:

13. RS

RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    No, straight ahead punk actually does suck. If you like it that's fine, but I also find no redeeming value in it.
    That its' (punk music's) goal, to be loud, ignorant, and sloppy.

14. I too am in a punk band. None of us really have top of the line instuments ('cept our guitarist...but he's a guitarist..). My bass is older than I am but 20+ years. Same with the amp. We recorded our first Cd with the microphone on my computer. Peachy, aye? :D

15. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    Im done with this thread. If people want to be bull-headed thats cool with me.

16. That's funny. The only person who hasn't spent several years in music theory is our singer, but he still took lessons when he started a couple of years ago.

One of my guitarists is the bass player in the University's Orchestra and a music ed major. The other guitarist is also a music ed student, although he can't afford tuition right now. Our drummer and I both spent at least 20 years combined in music theory classes. So shut yer hole. ;)

17. Madam Wongs, 1976 LA.

18. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    That is to bad, cause I would have loved to have been at those shows. I agree and disagree with you when you say "what you see today isnt punk". The mainstream crap simply is not punk, maybe punk ifluenced but cerainly not punk. However there are tons of punk bands that have stuck to there roots in punk rock music.

19. You'd think with the technology available, a punk could steal a much better quality of instrument these days.

20. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    sId ViCiOuS oNlY N33D3d 2 sTrInGz.