Must have effects??

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Pöl, Dec 7, 2003.

1. Pöl

May 31, 2003
    So I'm into effects lately, i'm new at this...

What type of effects should definately be in my pedalboard?
  2. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I'll recommend some cheaper effects:

Gotta love wahs: check out Crybabies and Morleys.

For distortion/fuzz/overdrive: I have to recommend a Big Muff Pi, but Boss ODB-3's are good for the money.

And you gotta love the subtle effect of a Boss BF-2 Flanger!

(I think I just recommended that you buy my entire pedalboard :p)
  3. is there a major difference between the bf2 and the bf-2b?
  4. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    The BF-2B is the bass version of the BF-2. It's brown instead of purple, says Bass Flanger but the sound is comparable. The BF-2B doesn't flange the low end to avoid a muddy sound, but when I played the bass version I hardly noticed a difference. I've found that the BF-2B is more used by guitarists, and most bassists use the BF-2. Wierd.

BOSS actually just came out with a BF-3 which has two more modes and seperate bass/guitar inputs. Has stereo outputs as well.
  5. i already bought the bf 2b when i had a little money in my pocket and saw it in a used shop
    i was just wondering because it seemed a little weak. no one can ever tell me what the manual knob does, whats up with that?
  6. Although i'm a big fan of overdrives and wahs (Flangers are right after that, especially with stereo cabs!!) I (and I will bet a lot of people are with me when I say this) would include a compressor and/or eq pedal for basic stuff. maybe even an eq more than a compressor. that way you can boost for solos or scoop the mids for a slapping song or whatever. I think eq pedals are a little underrated (if you get a good one) I kind of like the boss eq pedal, and MXR makes a cool ten band one, definatly try one out! oh, and another favorite is delay. look at that boss digital delay (DD3??) i can't remember what its number is, but it even has a backwards repeat!! how cool is that? of course it really doesn't have much of a practical use but hey, if I only got practical bass gear, i wouldn't have half the things i own!
  7. icks

Jul 12, 2001
    Charleroi, Belgium
    hey belgian fellow !

I have a pod with a lot of effects but I usually use the common ones such as:

for all these effect boss makes very nice ones for the bucks...
  8. Chap

May 27, 2002
    Reno, NV
    Gotta support the Cliff Burton effects on this one, Morley wahs, and I believe he played Big Muff distortion/overdrive also. Check out "Seek & Destroy", "Anesthesia (Pulling Teeth,)" and "For Whom The Bell Tolls" All by Metallica.