Must have effects?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by georgecarter, Jan 24, 2002.

1. Any effects that you feel are a must have for a rock bassist? Let's see how many different suggestions I can get.
  2. there arent any. effects on bass are always optional .. except maybe in space rock / drug rock ... of course, *you* might have a "must-have" effect because you dig it so much ..
  3. I think that effects have their place because every bass player needs to add some spice to his sound once in a while.
  4. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    I could make some use for a good overdrive pedal. But it works just as fine without one, too.
  5. if you want a good variaty of effects i recomend the zoom 708 effects peddle it is sweet it has 60 different effects :D
  6. I think a great effect to have is an Octave pedal. I'm looking to get myself one real soon, maybe an EBS octabass.
  7. korg sounds are better than zoom.
  8. Compression and overdrive are the most used in that genre, mainly to help you cut through. But lately I've been seeing envelope filters and phasors or flangers showing up adding color.
  9. I don't go for those multi effect processors. They sounds terrible and aren't worth the money that you pay for them, no matter how many effects they may have!
  10. DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    I have an Alesis 3630 rackmount compressor/limiter that I pretty much swear by. Stomp box compression is pretty crappy by comparison. Other than that, I think a good fuzz is cool sometimes (Big Muff and related circuits only please). Really that and some good tube driving is all I need...
  11. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I'm with FretGrinder, there are NO "must have" effects, not even compression. All effects for bass are spice.
  12. chipmolter

chipmolter Guest

Aug 27, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    The only pedals I regularly use are a Boss chorus and a Morley volume pedal. The chorus I use sparingly, just to give a little shimmer to my sound once in a while. The volume pedal is essential for my Rick. Each pickup has it's own volume control, and I don't want to mess up the balance. Plus, you can have fun turning the volume off, plucking a note, and gently fading the volume back on with the pedal.

Moderation with pedals is the key.
  13. i agree with what was said before... effects are extras.
    sometimes a compressor or overdrive can be good for some styles but they are not neccessary. Now me... i like to have a nice fuzz with a bit of delay running through a lush chorus with a slow phase sweep while keeping that wah on that one sweet spot... ;) :cool:
  14. Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    I share the opinion that bass effects are not more than spice (which should be used carefully).
    The last 15 years I have not used one single effect, but just now I started to figure out what could be useful for me and this is the result:

Overdrive (bought a used SansAmp BDDI for only € 130 - instead of € 280 new - yesterday!)

A compressor can be useful too, but I don't like it and don't need it. It's essential for recordings though, but that's another beer.

15. hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I agree, effects on bass are very optional. I'm glad i'm not a guitarplayer, because then it's the other way around..

But still, I would like to have a good compressor, an octaver, and maybe some other stuff... I don't _need_ it, but it'd be nice.
  16. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    BOSS OC-2 Octaver, it doesn't track as well as the EBS but it sounds way better.
  17. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    i'm with JMX. i love the Boss Octaver
  18. NS2000Q4

NS2000Q4 Guest

Jan 25, 2002
    i agree wit u guys that effects are optional but if u really want one get overdrive. korg px3b is the most awesome muliteffect processor u have to try its worth it.
  19. SlowRiot

Jan 5, 2002
    get some big mother of a fuzz :cool: :D
  20. Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    I use an EQ , does that count? :D

I once had a tiny bit of flange added on a recording i was doing, but i didn't like it.