1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Must have pedals for J bass players

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by DavidEdenAria, Jan 10, 2017.

1. DavidEdenAria

DavidEdenAria

Dec 13, 2013
    On a Hill
    Right now I am using:

Boss NF-1 Noise gate
    TurboRat
    Boss BF3 Flanger
    JHS Double Barrel (Marshall Bluesbreaker & Modded TS 808)

Any specific fuzzes, OD or Distortion pedals?

What about fav noise gates, since I don't want to replace the noisy single coils in several of my basses, including J types?

Thanks in advance!

2. Basstards

Basstards

Oct 7, 2016
    I don't think noise gates work like that. Save up, get a decent bass with decent pickups

ColdEye, SunnBass, Ellery and 2 others like this.
  3. DavidEdenAria

DavidEdenAria

Dec 13, 2013
    On a Hill
    Ive got lots of decent basses fwiw, some are noiseless some aren't.

The Boss Noise Gate works fine in my music room with the sensitivity set low and the decay set high...use it with my Strats and Teles too.

4. Tourniquet Man

Tourniquet Man

Jun 12, 2015
    All the moogerfoogers should get you started. Then maybe some offerings from Smallsound/Bigsound. Mini for drive, team awesome fuzz machine for fuzz and buzzz for those balls to the wall moments.
    Then an oc2, a vintage tall font big muff and maybe 8 or 9 pedals from Earthquaker Devices chosen at random from their latest catalogue.

5. Malekko Diabolik:

IMO ditch the BF-3 and get a BF-2. What kind of music do you play? what sort of effects do you need?

DavidEdenAria likes this.
  6. DavidEdenAria

DavidEdenAria

Dec 13, 2013
    On a Hill
    I actually have a LOT of effects mostly guitar stuff....ive got other flangers too...more curious what J bass players use in their rigs.

I own phasers, chorus, delays, reverbs, octaves, fuzz, OD, distortion but almost all are guitar based stuff.

Heavy fuzz like Felix Papallardi did with Mountain to the blooping tuba like sounds of Andy Fraser with Free...which I know are Gibson bass sounds....to experimental stuff with octaves and reverb echo type things.

More specifically with the bridge pickup on the J bass or lets say I may adjust the bridge to be the dominant sound with both pickups on...that bridge growl!

7. DavidEdenAria

DavidEdenAria

Dec 13, 2013
    On a Hill
    Ive got a ring modulator Moogerfooger.....its wild!

Also a pair of OC3....I sold my OC2 but I think the OC3 are okay.

MUST get another Big Muff...thought about the JHS Muffaleta with all of its different vintage muff sounds.

For now I have;
    Red Fuzz Face with Germanium
    Ibanez Soundtank 60's Fuzz
    EH Double Muff
    Cool Cat v2 Fuzz

Need more fuzz for sure....my budget is small for pedals though... until I start to sell some stuff!

Tourniquet Man likes this.
  8. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Experimental-psychedelic-ambient-noise-drone Gold Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    Get a clone of the Fender Blender and get rid of your noise gate.

We need more noise (No good bass demo's, so here's a guitar one):

design likes this.
  9. DirtyDuke

DirtyDuke Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 13, 2012
    guelph ontario
    Partner Southampton Pedals, Partner CCP
    NKBassman, stevej1982, ctpunk and 3 others like this.
  10. jumblemind

jumblemind I also answer to Bryan Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2011
    Knoxville
    I like to have a preamp pedal in my chain anytime I play jazz basses, typically anything with Johnk and JFET in the description seem to work well for me. Preamps help add beef and fill out certain frequencies. I realize a lot of people like jazz basses exactly for the quack and sometimes tinny sound of split coils, so YMMV.

For noise gates, I use an MS-60b on most of my boards, and they have a nice noise gate model.

Larry Graham makes a Jet Phase sound pretty gnarly on jazz bass.

11. Mxr M80. Overdrive/ distortion and DI also beefs your bass tone and have a built in noise gate. Mxr M87 compressor. Thats my combo for church. If you want more fuzz you can add a mojo mojo overdrive to push your M80 a little bit. No hiss

Crusher47 and DavidEdenAria like this.
  12. dinoadventures

dinoadventures Feets don't fail me now!

Jul 10, 2015
    Dallas, TX
    Something to give you control of your mids.

On the cheap side:

an EWS BMC
    [​IMG]

Yamaha NE 1
    [​IMG]

Medium budget:

WMD Utility EQ
    [​IMG]

Empress Para EQ
    [​IMG]

On the fancy end, get something made specifically for the job:

peq.

13. I play a J-Bass, and as far as effects go it's all for whatever kind of music you like to play and what effects really speak to you.

Me, my setup is pretty simple. I have a Tuner, Idiotbox Blower Box, MXR Phase 90, MXR Carbon Copy, and a SansAmp BDDI. I'm also looking at adding a reverb and overdrive at some point, but those aren't priorities right now.

The SansAmp is always on, very useful for adding some grit and filtering out some of the woofiness I get from my GK MB200 and Hartke Hydrive 112. I have other pedals I like to add an play with, but those have been narrowed down to my essentials.

The Blower Box is an excellent bass-specific distortion. You can get grindy overdrive sounds, fuzz sounds, or sludgy distortion. You can hear quite a bit of your clean signal through the pedal, which I really like. So if you want a bass-specific distortion I'd recommend that. For the dirt pedals you currently have, a blender pedal like a Boss Line Selector would be good so you don't loose too much low end. Justin Chancellor for example uses a Turbo Rat with a Bass EQ pedal blended with his clean signal.

If you play a lot with the pickup configuration (I don't), then it may be more worth it to get the Fender Noiseless J Pickups rather than a Noise Gate. I think they would be around the same price anyways ($100 or so).

14. MoeTown1986

MoeTown1986 Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2010
    SoMD (Mechanicsville)
    DavidEdenAria and jmlee like this.
  15. davegt666

davegt666

Jun 30, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    I use the same ones I use for my P and PJ's. I love my modulation so I use the cheap classics that work.

The CE5, BF2, and the Phase 90.

I also got a DD3. I'm not too big OD, but it could just be I haven't found one I liked.

I would also opt to change the pickups to hum cancelling ones. I'm putting DiMarzios in mine next paycheck :laugh:

16. REV

REV Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2006
    I really like my EBS Compressor and I've been experimenting with a VT Bass. The compressor really fattens up my tone and the VT bass does that SVT thing pretty well.

17. BusyFingers

BusyFingers Banned

Nov 26, 2016
    I think a clean boost or an EQ pedal can help fatten up single coils when necessary. The MXR Micro amp is kind of like a clean boost.

Overdrives, distortions, and fuzzes can be nice, but I like to run something with good EQ options, or runan EQ pedal, after them to shape the tones to be more usefull. Mixing fuzz and overdrives can be nice, too.

If you get some airspace that allows for the use of delays and reverbs that can be nice if appropriate to the music.

18. DavC

DavC Supporting Member

May 17, 2005
    Trinity, FL
    want no noise ... humbuckers of some type ... i like Splits ( i think they sound most like singles ) versus Stacked or Dual Coils ...

then you can freely Mix the pup volumes to taste ( - hum )

Comp pedal

ext Pre for passive pups

OD/dirt to taste

19. Ritchie_Darling

Ritchie_Darling Supporting Member

May 22, 2006
    Arizona
    Artisan Bass Works sales and support..
    Hmmmm....... Guess that I'm just an oddball.

I use a Electro-Harmonix Mel9, Ravish Sitar, and a Mooer octave pedal....

And that's all....

DavidEdenAria and FantasticFour like this.
  20. opivy3056

opivy3056 stardust in a light beam Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2004
    Annapolis, MD
    I really like an overdriven jazz bass sound favoring the neck pickup by about 10% (I know you're a bridge PU guy)

Over the years had good results with:
    Tech 21 BDDI
    EHX english muff'n
    Barber LTD SR
    Tech 21 Leeds
    Idiotbox blower box*

*my current fav, doubt it'll be replaced