Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Must have tools of the trade

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by ashton, Mar 5, 2006.

1. ashton

ashton

Jan 4, 2001
    Australia
    Hi
    What are the pedals a bassist must have? At the moment I have a George Dennis Wha + and a DS1.

2. dumelow

dumelow

Feb 8, 2006
    England
    how does the ds1 sound, may i ask?

3. flatwoundfender

flatwoundfender

Feb 24, 2005
    I don't think a bassists must have any pedals.

4. ashton

ashton

Jan 4, 2001
    Australia
    The DS1 sounds great with the 'level' max and the 'tone' and 'dist' at min I have run it through alot of setups and its always good, a mere fraction of an inch turn on the 'dist' knob can go from great bass to metal-ish whine. I want to run a clean signal aswell as the effects signal for more clarity, the clean signal will probably be from a sansamp.

I once thought bassists not need bother with pedals, but Justin Chancellor(tool) and Omar(guitar in marz volta) made me change my mind.

5. Basically there are only 2 you will really need in my opinion (I'm gonna say this before everyone says "get these **** **** **** **** pedals, you need them for every set you'll ever do")

1) Distortion or overdrive (i.e. - Big muff, Sansamp BDDI (or the cheaper Behringer copy), Boss bass overdrive, Marshall Guv'nor 2)
    2) Chorus (i.e. - Danelectro cool cat, Boss bass chorus, DOD chorus)

anything much more than that and you'll end up with a pedalboard that won't fit in your car...

6. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    Right now all I've got is my preamp (SansAmp Para Driver) and a dist/fuzz (EHX English Muff'n). These are all I "need". The PD gives me a nice fat clean sound and the EM chops it up a little.

Though I feel I must say that od/dist/fuzz is such a personal preference that trying to find the perfect one may involve buying a few of them.... (still have a few that I want to try ;) )

7. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    Everyone will have a different opinion about what one "needs". It really all depends on band context and perspective. If you like a clean sound and feel like the guitarist should be the only one using effects, you should still have a decent compressor and maybe some sort of EQ/ tone shaping device. If you play in a metal band, distortion, chorus and flange would be valuable. Funk bassists will almost always have a good envelope filter and a phaser. If you are looking to be experimental, a delay, ring modulator and a wah would be cool. Some pedals will come in handy no matter what your style. A compressor, EQ and a pedal tuner come to mind. A dedicated pre-amp with a DI is a nice tool as well. It really all depends on what you like, not necessarily what you "need". That said, I "need" my pedal tuner, SABDDI, distortion, envelope filter, chorus, phaser and delay. The most important thing is to try new things and have fun. Effects can be really cool tools. Be warned though, they are addictive.

8. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    They're are no pedals a bassist must have.

9. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I agree with most of what's already been said, including the "no pedals" camp. But here's what I would be reluctant to gig without: tuner, compressor, some sort of OD/dist/fuzz, and maybe an envelope filter.

10. i think the only thing a bass players needs that could be a pedal is a DI/Preamp of some sort, if that counts...the rest is really just details imo, i just like to have a lot of details :)

also a compressor would be smart, as although we all like to play with as much dynamics as possible, it's nice to have an even sound when we are playing in our CCR cover bands

11. Dash Rantic

Dash Rantic

Nov 12, 2005
    Palo Alto, CA
    I'll jump into the "you don't actually *need* any pedals" side of things.

That said, I couldn't live without my distortion and wah. But it all comes down to not only the style of music you play, but personal preference for types (and brands) of effects.

I've heard lot of people (not just here) say chorus is about as must-have as bass effects get, but personally, I hate the sound. So really, find an effect that you think sounds interesting, and then figure out a way to apply it.

If you don't think any sound that good to you, and you don't know how to apply it, then you really don't need any :)

-Dash

12. gillento

gillento

Oct 15, 2005
    Luxembourg, Europe
    Nordstrand pickups
    1. Peterson Strobostomp!!!: a must have for setting your bass up and playing live : TRUE Bypass, DI and even sounding neutral when not in true bypass mode!!!! So, no need for a loooper.
    2. good compressor (me: EBS Multicomp)
    3. tone shaping DI (me: Tech21 programm. SABDDI: giving 3 different sounds or levelling/eq'ing my main bass and the backup)

When only one sound is asked for, I replace the last 2 pedals with a tube preamp/compessor/EQ: TLAudio 5051 or the Tech21 Acoustic DI.

13. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    +100, that is a great setup.

14. Speaking from my perspective, I've got a rackmount tuner that isn't in the signal chain (tuner out), and I DI out of my amp-head, so the only pedals I NEED are my envelope filter and an overdrive (in my case my EP-1, and when I can get my hands on one, a Disnortion).

Also useful for me though are my delay, my chorus, and my wah.

It's good to have every sound I could want right at my feet or in my bass's EQ section.

15. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    I think it totally depends on your gig. I went for years using nothing, or a BDDI set with "Bassman" or "Fliptop" settings.

Now I rely on a filter and a distortion, but still play a lot without effects.

+1k on a tuner. The Strobostomp rules the roost.

16. seaKamp

seaKamp

Jun 30, 2005
    Chicago
    +1 on the tuner. The strobostomp is amazing! I use a DTR-1 myself but my dad has a strobostomp... If I could find an affordable rackmount my DTR-1 would be out the door.

the pedals *I* love are an octaver and envelope filter.

17. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    As has been said, you don't NEED any pedals.

Some form of tuner is a good idea.

The 'must have' list is really dependent on what styles you play. I have 2 pedal boards that I use for different styles. In both of those, I run Chorus and Reverb all the time.

On my micro-rig I also have a phaser, and that's it. I have distortion, overdrive, wah, and a couple of bassballs that I use for color when needed.

Figure out what kind of music you want to play, and build your pedlal board, if needed, around the needs of that musical style.

18. superkicky

superkicky

Sep 3, 2005
    Singapore
    +1 for the "don't need"

+1 for the "but it would be nice to gig with" which includes a compressor, tuner, overdrive (boost) pedal and a BDDI.

19. by 'don't need', do you actually mean 'not necessary'?

20. johnvice

johnvice

Sep 7, 2004
    +1

It entirely depends on yoru objectives. I HAVE lots of effects but I USE them sparingly.

I consider compression essential, but I use it sparingly, not as an effect per se.

My favorite effect is: Fender > Ampeg SVT > 8x10" ;)