1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Must learn Jamerson basslines!

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by jmattbassplaya, May 26, 2011.

1. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    List 'em! I'm ready to learn from the greatest and need a hand :)

2. Jerry Callo

Jerry Callo Banned

May 23, 2011
    The Standing In The Shadows book and CD is a good start and a must have. Grapevine, I'm gonna make you love me, Bernadette and What's Going On are all a master class is how to play bass.

3. bluesdogblues

bluesdogblues

Nov 13, 2007
    Good advice.. Or..
    Google it you'll get the complete list.

I was like you sometimes ago and found it in the net. If I'm on my PC I'll send you the link. But now I'm on cellphone.

For now I'll recommend Marvin Gaye - What's Goin On.
    Search it here in TB, you'll find plenty.. Also the youtube link of WGO live version by JJ :)

4. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    I actually did a search and didn't find too much on the lines of songs he actually played on, which is why I decided to start the thread :)

Thanks for the book suggestion! I actually need to start working on my sight reading again, so that'll be really helpful.

5. Roy Vogt

Roy Vogt

Sep 20, 2000
    Nashville,TN
    Endorsing Artist: Kiesel, Carvin, Accuracy, Hotwire, Conklin Basses, DNA, Eden
  6. bluesdogblues

bluesdogblues

Nov 13, 2007
  7. Handyman

Handyman

Sep 4, 2007
    Austin, TX
    As has been suggested, get yourself Standing in the Shadows of Motown, its the definitive work on Jamerson.

If you're interested in some other great R&B bassists, Ed Friedland's The R&B Bass Masters is another great book. This one has ten relatively short chapters on ten influential R&B bassists, including representative selections from their work, along with some analysis of the provided lines.

8. macribas

macribas

Jan 17, 2009
    Austin, TX
    +1 on that