1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Must use headphones...best for bass???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rickreyn, Feb 24, 2008.

1. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    I play bass at a church that does not use amps on stage. We have a professional setup with Aviom monitors, etc. I have used onen of Sony's best headphones (7509) and M-Audio XP-30's. The Sony set is not focused enough for the bass and the XP's keep slipping out of my ears after experimenting with all the ear pieces. Please direct me to the very best headphones for on-stage monitoring, and I appeciate a few alternatives if too pricey. Thanks.

2. skb5string

skb5string Supporting Member

Jun 3, 2007
    Clinton Township, MI
    Ultimate Ears UE-5pros but expensive!, Shure E5's, Westone UM2's. Pretty much any universal fit IEM. You want them to have dual drivers (high freq driver/Low freq driver) Kinda like a clean PA crossover in your ears! Good Luck!

3. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I haven't used (or read about) the 7509's, but the MDR 7506's have been a studio standard for many years, and they present bass just fine. I could see them being too boomy if you don't roll off some lows first, as they were designed to pre-emphasize bass frequencies, but certainly not lacking in "focus".

Almost nobody uses headphones for onstage monitoring, so I'll be surprised if there is a "best".

Perhaps if you look up "IEM" here in the forum you'll find one of the threads we've had on in-ears.

4. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    When I practice with my Cafe Walter I use my iPod ear buds and they work fine.

5. allexcosta

allexcosta

Apr 7, 2004
    Very personal choice, but I like to use a Koss Porta Pro II.

6. I just got some shure E2c in ear headphones. They are the best I ever heard, even at very low volume.

7. Groovin

Groovin

May 25, 2006
    Wash, D.C.
    I am in the same situation. I use Shure E4 or E5 and I had an audiologist take impressions of my ears and made custom molds for me. It was a decent amount of $ but considering how much we spend on basses, etc. Not that bad.

8. Guja

Guja

Feb 26, 2007
    AKG K240S

9. dunamis

dunamis

Aug 2, 2004
    Charlotte
    I've used msot of those mentioned above... the Shure buds work pretty well; if you want cans, try Sennheiser HD-280 or HD-580. Grado makes a nice set at a nice price (SR60) but they don't handle bass as well as the Senns IME.