1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mustang Appreciation

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bkbass2000, Mar 7, 2018.

Tags:
  1. bkbass2000

bkbass2000 Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2011
    Asheville NC
    I'm mostly a Jazz bass guy. I have also owned and loved active 5 strings. I have owned 2 P's and have never really bonded with them, and I promise I have tried. The guitarist in my band has a 1976 Mustang bass that had a mudbucker installed in the 80's rendering it un-usable for me. I finally talked him in to letting me put it back to it's original configuration. He bought a $30 Duncan Designed pickup and a new pickguard. I wired it up and put it back together and WOW!! I really enjoyed playing it. To my ears it sounded quite different than my P bass. Tight, full, and punchy. Not harsh at all. Is it magic? I'm digging it. Looking forward to spending more time with her, and the JMJ Mustang is now on the radar.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
  2. mesaplayer83

mesaplayer83

Jun 27, 2017
    I have to admit at being impressed with my CIJ Mustang reissue - I've gigged it a couple times, and it has shined.... My preferences lean towards P basses, but I like Jazz basses, too - and to my ear, the Mustang sits somewhere between those 2 icons, tone-wise...

bkbass2000 likes this.