Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mustang Bass for my 10 year old

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Steve Clark, Sep 8, 2004.

1. Steve Clark

Steve Clark Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    I used to have one years ago an wish I had kept it. I think it would be great if my son had one ;) :bag:

Are the current Mustangs a good buy?

2. I think used 70s ones can be had pretty cheaply. Musicmasters too, including Squier ones (pretty decent actually) and likely some MIM Mustangs. Short scale basses are too fun, and those are all great choices. Check Ebay a lot, they tend to have a few here and there. There's not much demand so even vintage ones tend to go cheaply.

3. WildBill

WildBill

Jul 7, 2002
    Massachusettes
    The newer Mustangs kind of suck, I mean theyre ok for the price but the neck feels like plywood. I'd go with the musicmaster or the 70s mustangs, Ive played both and I can say that they feel alot better and are usually priced lower.

4. Yeah, but the boy is only 10 y/o. Hell, at 10 I was ripping the tuning pegs off my sister's acoustic guitar and puttin' big ol flatwounds on it - I was happy to just have a set of bass strings! You tend to appreciate a better instrument after you've HAD to deal with baseball bat necks w/ dead spots and 1/2" action.
    Kudos for starting him so young - now just lead him into some appreciable music...he'll thank you later that you did.

5. i agree with the above statments, i learned to play with a 70's mustang that my uncle had lying around his house and when i went to pick one up at the local store, the new ones felt cheap, like WildBill said, there are always at least a few up on ebay

6. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
    I posted a review of one here about a month ago (Im too lazy to go search the link) and really like mine. It's light, awesome neck and nice gutsy tone.

7. Steve Clark

Steve Clark Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    So far his musical tastes are quite eclectic. Current fav CD for him is anything by the Red Hot Chilli Peppers. He and I went to see Bowie this year. Bowie is still one of his favs as well. That along with Victor Wooten Live across America.

There was a day at school when they were asked to bring some music they liked. He took Bowie and Victor Wooten. He can recognize Gov't Mule. Loves Primus and Oysterhead as well. I Picked up the Oysterhead disc a little while back and the first thing he said was"This sounds like the bass player from Primus" We went to see Primus as well this year.
    I must have been then oldest guy there and he must have been the youngest. I get a real kick out of him saying to a buddy, "You've never heard of Primus"

I did buy the Mustang. Its a great little bass. I won't be back in town until the weekend but according to my wife he is really excited about it. What am I going to do when get to the teenage years and he says "Can I borrow your amp this weekend?"

8. waxcomb

waxcomb

Jun 29, 2003
    Martinez, CA
    Buy him a Peavey and make him suffer like the rest of us did! ;)

9. That's hilarious! And I thought I had it bad when my first amp was a B-15! (Now they're the hot item!)
    What the heck...the Peavy will be a character builder!

10. dangnewt

dangnewt Veteran Dispenser

Jun 6, 2003
    MetroWest Boston
    You have my nomination. That is a great instrument for a 10 year old. But he sounds like a great kid with a real love for the music so he'll treat it right. He'll never outgrow it because the short scales are so much fun to play (I have one of the new Mustangs). If he is borrowing your amp in a few years, it will only be payback for all the times you borrowed the Mustang.