Mustang Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by AngryArgentine, Aug 7, 2001.

1. Are they any good? Like a 1967.
  2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Nope - I had a "vintage" one and it was the worst bass I have owned - no tonal variety, poor tone overall - lacking bottom end and it was difficult to intonate it above 12th fret.

There was only one good thing about it - the re-sale value. This meant I was able to get a good price and trade it in for a decent bass!
  3. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    i tried only one. it has a guitar bass tone, someway similar to the rick but with less bottom. it's good with a pick and an overdriven sound. really nice with a chorus too. it's quite easy to play and it's a short scale, very light ans confortable for small hands. i agree with the lack of tonal variety. for sure not the first choice bass, but maybe a good second bass, just to have a different sound. well suited for pop and rock, but useless in my opinion for blues, funky or modern music.
  4. top028

Dec 14, 1999
    Lancaster, PA
    the first bass I learned on was an old mustang. My high school had one that I used. THis thing was beat to hell, and had lots of personality. I loved the thing. I thought it played great. If you have a nice EQ to boost the sub frequencies it would have a great reggae tone, with lots of mids...good for blues, cause thats what i started learning on. Seamore Duncan is good about making custom PU's so I bet they can make a direct replacement with the sound characteristics you want. And there is always the router...put some P-bass pickups in it..
  5. agyeman

agyeman Member

Mar 6, 2001
    Weren't Mustangs back then like the Bronco basses of today? Cheap shortscale beginers basses?
  6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Yup ! If you mean by "personality" - cheap hardware that rusted and poor contruction, then I would agree - but personally I would rather have had a decent bass that didn't require huge amounts of EQ to be listenable. I remember being pleased to get one at the time, but when I had played for a while and tried other basses, I realised how bad it was in comparison!!

For the same price I was able to get a fretless, neck-through bass, with exotic woods, wonderful on-board EQ and a full-scale neck that played beautifully all the way to the top!