1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

mustang + bridge pick up

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by heavyfunkmachin, Jan 27, 2008.

1. heavyfunkmachin

heavyfunkmachin

Jan 21, 2005
    hi, i´ve been gassing for a japanese mustang for some time... and im needing a short scale... but im pretty sure i´ll be missing the jazz bass bridge pick up so i camed up with this idea...

adding a bridge pick up----:smug:

i dont mind the routing, and i believe i can keep the control plate, adding a potenciometer in jazz bass fashion ( vol/ vol/tone) while taking the jack output to the side of the body.. the thing is... WHAT PICKUP SHOULD I GET?

im concerned about tone and string-spaicing.... so besides the obvious jazz bridge pick up option... is the neck one (smaller) ok for placing it in the bridge or is it tone-wised designed for the neck??

what else can i choose?
    rickenbaker? dark star? something vintage sounding? gibson eb-3? something more moddern? fender 60`s custom?
    im open to any kind of suggestion... what would be tone wise?
    :help:

2. Lucas G

Lucas G

Jan 14, 2007
    masury, OH
    you might be able to squeeze a neck pickup in there. i'm not sure how that would line up. but if you went with something that was a rail/blade type you would be just fine for sure.

3. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    You could also angle it like on a Rumblefish.

4. Kael

Kael

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    I just picked up one of these yesterday to help deal with a light case of tennis elbow. On last nights gig I missed a bridge pickup on several tunes. I just logged into talkbass to check this same idea. IOW, this is a very long way of saying "subscribed".

5. heavyfunkmachin

heavyfunkmachin

Jan 21, 2005
    well, kind of same issue here, and at first i got a little bit of bad vibe (i was a proud user of 34" headding to 35".. and suddenly i feel the urge to have a shorter one... but, im dealing ok with it... "ITS NOT WHAT YOU HAVE, BUT HOW YOU USE IT!!" :ninja: )

ANYWAY, i was thinking about a jazz neck pickup with a white cover (i want the white finished mustang)... maybe a noisless one since i dont have another jazz pickup to phase it with... but
    WILL THE NECK PICKUP WORK IN THE BRIDGE POSITION? or is ther something in the winding or construction that makes it suited for neck position but not neck one?

any recomendations? is there anithing more suited? will it have an even output with the split mustang one?

what about a musicmaster or bronco pickup?

any ideas?

6. Kael

Kael

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    I've seen a couple places here on Talkbass that the pickups on those broncos are strat g****r pickups. I've also read about people swapping the pickups out on musicmasters for low end intensive strat pickups. My gut reaction would be to shy away from those and stick to an actual J pickup. Whatever gets used would definitely have to be split coil or there would be a constant buzz.

While I haven't measured it, the mustang feels like 19mm spacing at the bridge. Quite frankly I hate anything tighter than that. I've been spoiled by my 20mm warwick. Since the mustang felt pretty comfy to my right hand, I am assuming that it is 19mm, but I wouldn't bet the farm on it. I DO know that the nut is 1.5" as I did measure that. That only leaves the concern of the strings tapering in at a sharper angle. Since we are talking a bridge pickup here, the taper is going to be less evident closer to the bridge. I suspect that even a regular bridge J may work.

I'd offer to take some measurements for you on my bass, but I am not sure how far out from the bridge I should do so. I wonder where the sweet spot is for a bridge J pickup (60's style placement) on a 30" instrument. Perhaps that would be one way to determine where the sweet spot is? Take a bridge J pickup and place it where the pole peices line up even with the strings. Seems like maybe a flawed methodology to me though. Anyone else have any insight on the short scale J bridge pickup location issue?

7. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Australia
    30/34 should work the same for longscale J positioning.

8. heavyfunkmachin

heavyfunkmachin

Jan 21, 2005
    i talk to a luthier en he wants to charge me 370 dollars. i find it abusive... i was scared about the routing, but i might make a template i do it myself...

BTW, are the mustang pickups really hot? i want a neck pickup balanced with it... so do i net the hot rod?
    are neck and bridge pickups different or just more output?

how do you think i can work the pickup thing out?

9. Kael

Kael

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    $370 seems a little steep to me also for just a J bridge pickup route. Then again you are talking about adding another knob and routing out a new jack, so I've no clue if that is a fair price or no. $370 may be reasonable, I just don't know.

The output of the stock mustang is fairly hot. Comparable to most stock P pickups I've encountered. Then again, there is a lot of fluctuation from pickup to pickup, so I don't know how much that helps. I'd just treat it like a P pickup for this purpose. Get yourself a nice hot output J and you should be good to go.

Something else to think about. I am really wanting to get a small route in the body next to the neck so I can access the truss rod without removing the neck. I'll have to trim back the pickguard a bit too, but that's no biggie. The neck seems to be pretty stable considering the shorter scale in relation to a neck that is just as "chunky" as a regular scale bass. Still, I forsee me needing to tweak the trussrod in the future due to string swapping. Having to remove the neck for every trussrod tweak is going to be a massive PITA. Seems like a strange design decision.

10. jim primate

jim primate bass guitarist.

$370 is way too much. unless cost of pickup is included. and that pickup is a nice one.

11. heavyfunkmachin

heavyfunkmachin

Jan 21, 2005
    yes, pickups cost is included... but we talkabout a hot rod jazz pick up (90 euros, about 130 $, price list, but i think i can get it way cheaper... and with a white cover to some how match the finish...)

do you think a hot rod jass pick up is the way to go?

about the truss rod... i though looking a the pictures that it was hidden behind the pick guard... that if the pickguar was removed, you could access the truss rod... are you saying the wood is actually hidding it???

the i guess i´ll have to route it a bit to... im kind of a setup freak. ;)

about the bridge pickup placing i thought that if i placed it in proportion were the jazz bass pickup is it would be fine... pretty close to the end of the massive bridge is... what do you think about it?

12. heavyfunkmachin

heavyfunkmachin

Jan 21, 2005
    bumping...

any opinions on jazz hot rod?

are they silent?

is there any hot noiless jazz pickup??

13. debassr

debassr

Jan 23, 2008
    Boston
    Just FYI - I have a brandy new Vintage White / Tortoise Mustang for sale in the classifieds. Awesome rig.

14. heavyfunkmachin

heavyfunkmachin

Jan 21, 2005
    bumping forr hot noisless pick ups for the bridge of a mustang

15. Kael

Kael

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    Well I am pulling the trigger on this mod. I'm eyeing a nordy J pickup, nj4sv, for that spot. I am a little concerned that I am just jumping on the flavor of the month pickup and spending extra for no reason. Then again I figured the price difference between that and another more standard choice isn't all that much. I might as well splurge. I'm waiting to hear back as to whether the string spacing will jive with the pole piece location. If it does then I am rolling with the nordy. If not, then I'll probably snag a passive blade style pickup ala Bart's.

While I am at it I am also having that route done at the base of the neck so I can access the trussrod without neck removal. Luthier is charging me $60 to $80 for the job so I think that your fellow is probably taking you to the cleaners with that $370 quote.

16. debassr

debassr

Jan 23, 2008
    Boston
    Dude - don't bother. Really. The stock pickups sound great and I really very little to no noise on mine. In fact, every person who's ever heard my Mustang has commented on how it has the coolest tone they've ever heard - and I have a lot of basses ranging from Sterlings, to Rays to Jazzes and P's. Consider leaving it alone.

17. Kael

Kael

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    Actually I am leaving the stock pickup in place. I'd 100% agree that it is a good pickup. I briefly considered swapping it out, but realized that my disatisfaction with this bass is not with that pickup. What the mustang doesn't do is reproduce the frequencies that a bridge jazz pickup does. Example: Try playing a prominent melody using harmonics while not playing solo. Those notes will get buried by the rest of the act right quick. That's ok though. That's just the nature of a P (or a P-esque mustang pickup). That is the reason I am ADDING an extra pickup to the one that is already there. If it wasn't for the fact that tendonitis is limiting me to solely gigging this short scale bass for the next half year or so, I'd probably just grab a J bass for those applications and leave the mustang unaltered as you mentioned.

To original poster: After measuring string spacing, I've determined that a bridge pickup from a standard set probably won't work well as the pole peice won't line up. On the other hand, the string spacing of a standard J AT THE NECK is identical to the string spacing at the bridge spot on a 30" scale Mustang. Therefore a neck pickup in the bridge position may be the best bet for this.

note: I determined that by selecting the bridge spot to be proportionally the same from the nut as on a Jazz bass. ie: A 34" scale jazz bass bridge spot is 31" from nut. A 30" scale mustang bridge spot is 30/34 * 31" = approximately 27.25" from nut. I fully acknowledge that this may be a flawed methodology, but it is elegant so I am rolling with it.

18. new_west

new_west

Dec 28, 2005
    San Diego
    so what happened to your mustang + jazz pup story? :D
    i'm curious as i'd like to mod one someday..

19. Kael

Kael

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City

Unfortunately I had to pull the plug at the last minute. The tech I was using was going to do the work in a couple stages. The first stage was just the neck route. He did the neck route OK, but there was some distinct fishiness that went along with it. I am positive at this point that this sweetheart tried to sabotage my instrument requiring me to bring it back in for further costly repairs. Looked around for another tech, but I couldn't get one locally that would get me in and out fast enough to not miss gigs with it. Wound up playing it stock till a half year or so ago. I've healed up from my tendonitis (sorta) and moved that bass in favor of going back to 34" scale basses.

Here's a link for the whole sad story if you are interested. Realy too bad. That nordie neck lined up perfect for that mustang.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=420217&highlight=

PS: There really wasn't any need for the neck route on my mustang. It experienced weather shifts plus going from light gauge rounds to chrome flats. That sucker never even budged. I think the shorter scale results in more girth per length ratio or something comparable that makes the neck more stable than it's longer cousins.

PPS: I've since run into an older fellow playing with a blues group around central OK. He has an old mustang (not a reissue) and had the pickups swapped out sometime back in the 80's he said. He has a P/J config (full size P not a mustang pickup plus a J at the bridge). Sounded just like you'd expect a P/J to sound, perhaps a tad thumpier and more low focused. I guess my modded mustang wouldn't have been quite as unique as I'd thought.

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 18, 2021