Mustang or Bronco Bass for recording setup?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jungblood, Nov 23, 2020.

1. Modded Squier Affinity Bronco Bass

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. Used Squier Classic Vibe Mustang Bass

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Jungblood

Jungblood

Nov 23, 2020
    Hi, I'm trying to decide which bass to buy for recording music (styles in question are mainly: midwest emo, emo trap beats, and indie pop).

I've narrowed it down to either the:
    • Squier Classic Vibe Mustang Bass, or
    • Squier Affinity Bronco Bass

The for-sale Bronco I'm looking at has already been modded with new tuners, new pots/cap, and a humbucker, and the Mustang is used, so the price difference is only about $80. Unfortunately, there's no way for me to know how the modded Bronco sounds with the humbucker, so if I go with that option it'll have to be a leap of faith tonally.

I'm not by nature a bassist, I've been playing guitar for 15 years and piano for about 2 years. I used to own a P-Bass copy but we could not get along so I sold it. I've decided on a short scale bass now because I'm a small dude with small hands (and a full scale bass head would knock against the wall in my cramped recording space).

I'm left handed, so I'll need to flip the nut and restring it, and I've read some comments in various forums about the Bronco bass neck being flimsier due to it's cheaper construction, so I'm worried if I flip the strings could it start twisting the cheap Bronco neck? Would the Mustang neck be sturdier? I'm not a big fan of maple fretboards anyway, but I'm keeping my options open for now.

So which would be a more reliable purchase for recording: A pre-modded Bronco or a stock CV Mustang?

Thank you to any bassists hear who can help!

2. Volker Kirstein

Volker Kirstein Blippy the Wonder Slug

I'm rather partial to a Bronco w/flats.

Also, the Bronco neck isn't that flimsy! It shouldn't twitch from flipping the nut and strings and going lefty. The knobs might be awkward no matter what you get.