Mustang pickups - difference between “little” and “normal”

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by SteveC, Aug 1, 2019.

1. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

So I’m playing a 74 Mustang all stock. What’s the difference between these “little” pickups and the “normal” pickups on newer versions?

Real Soon likes this.
  2. sikamikanico

sikamikanico

Mar 17, 2004
    Do you mean
    MustBaSESFG.jpg VS upload_2019-8-1_20-46-58.png ?

AFAIK, the big pickups are your ol' P pickups, and the small ones are original Mustang pickups. So what's the difference?

Here are Novak versions of both pickups, under the hood:
    upload_2019-8-1_20-34-43.png VS upload_2019-8-1_20-35-9.png

You can see that the P pickup has two magnets per string, while Mustang has one (long) magnet per string. P pickups are short and wide, while Mustang pickups are tall and narrow. So Mustang is maybe more like a 51P/SCPB pickup, but split and offset.

Soundwise, I don't know what the difference is, I haven't played the new Mustangs. They probably sound more similar than different (in the same Mustang bass), but in theory the Mustang pickup should be more "hi fi" sounding due to more efficient tall and narrow design, but the P might have more mids and "girth" to the sound.

Real Soon likes this.
  3. cataract

cataract Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Columbia SC
    The “Duncan Designed” pickup in my old JMJ Mustang was hot enough to sound pretty much just like a normal Precision pickup. I owned an older Mustang back in the day for a couple of months (definitely a 70’s model but unsure of the year) and it had good output but it certainly had a different character overall.

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 22, 2021