Mustang pj for slap?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by andfra, Aug 19, 2017.

1. andfra

andfra

Aug 18, 2017
    hi, i mainly a guitarplayer and trying to get into the bass-jungle.
    I've been listen a alot to slapbass and my question is:

I want to slap, and the j-style basses sound better in that aspect.
    Can i dial in a good slaptone in the new mustang pj fender basses with the bridge pickup option?

2. I don't see why not. Most of us go for a scooped tone when we slap, that helps a lot. I would expect a decent, punchy slap tone from a PJ, but I'm not an expert on that particular bass.

3. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2004
    Lompoc, CA
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs
    Slaps just fine. A PJ doesn't sound exactly like a JJ though, plus the Mustang is 30" scale. But it works for me - I'm a PJ guy anyway...

4. andfra

andfra

Aug 18, 2017
    so there will be almost no difference between j and pj mustang?

5. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    There is a difference. Conventional PJ basses are much more mid focused than Jazz basses, and that results in a different slap tone. Reversed PJ basses like Sandburg or the old Yamaha BB2000 are closer to a Jazz in tone. Here is a clip of me slapping a Mustang PJ:

6. Stephen Hurley

Stephen Hurley Supporting Member

Jul 6, 2015
    Alexandria,La
    You can get a great slap tone out of the PJ Mustangs. Jazz would be ideal for slapping but the Pj is the only short scale I've ever played that's slappable. It doesn't really sound like a short scale honestly. It's got that great fender tone. Hope this helps :)

dralionux likes this.
  7. BusyFingers

BusyFingers

Nov 26, 2016
    no, it just isn't ergonomic for slap technique. I don't slap, though I've done it here and there for giggles. The Mustang P/J is probably one of the poorer designs for such technique. It's too cramped on the front side of the pickups by the fretboard. A jazz bass would be a better option.

8. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I did not keep mine, but slapping it was no problem for me, and I use a lot of 35" basses.

9. BassBuzzRS

BassBuzzRS

Oct 18, 2005
    Norway
    Get a jazz.

MrLenny1 likes this.
  10. Tried the new Mustang P/J at my bass store today through a 15" combo.

Very nice. I liked.

Wasn't slapping it though...I was playing fingerstyle.

Tone was pretty dang good.

Dr. Cheese and Stephen Hurley like this.
  11. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis

I really liked the Mustang PJ, but ultimately I decided that could get more use out a four string P-bass, Peavey Fury, and a five string PJ, Ibanez TMB 605.

12. Christcr

Christcr

Feb 8, 2015
    Utah
    Yes, there is a definite difference. My Flea J-bass does sound significantly better for slap. BUT, the Mustang PJ sounds just fine as well. I'd say it is not quite as scooped and smooth as a j-bass, and a bit more in your face. It takes a little more EQing, but it certainly sounds better than any other short scale I've ever slapped on.

As far as ergonomics, it is more comfortable to slap on the Mustang PJ. I can play faster and more accurately because everything is scaled down (and I have microscopic hands), so in that regard, I prefer the Mustang PJ for slapping (from a physical point of view). It just feels quicker.

Also, I've tried several variations of pickup in the Mustang PJ. I've had SD, Nordstrand, Delano, etc. for anyone thinking of this, I wouldn't bother. Both slap and fingerstyle sounds better with the stock pickups to my ears. I guess Fender took the time to get the pickups and the short scale bass matched up pretty well. I'd prefer a bit smoother sound, but I'm certainly not going to complain because it beats the pants off other short scales I've either had or tried. I do love the "regular" Mustang bass as well, but the Mustang PJ is more versatile and you can get closer to a j-bass sound (which I've always loved) whereas the regular Mustang leans more toward a p-bass.

13. Marial

Marial weapons-grade plum

Apr 8, 2011
    Really? I'm finding the stock pickups too brite in mine and have been considering a change.

14. Christcr

Christcr

Feb 8, 2015
    Utah
    Yeah, they are quite bright. I usually end up backing the tone off unless I'm running just the P pickup. But I found the replacements even brighter--especially the Delano. I did a lot of swapping and it ended up being just sort of a waste--but, I do like to mess around with pickups (sort of a gear junkie/techie in general). Really, the only thing I think would tone the brightness down (as far as pickups) might be an overwound Fralin or something like that, especially in the bridge position. But, I think I'm done experimenting with the PJs. Although a little bright, they do cut through very well in a band mix and are never muddy or buried.

15. Marial

Marial weapons-grade plum

Apr 8, 2011
    I'm thinking Barts.

16. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 4, 2021