1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mustang routed for P-bass p-up(photoshop request)

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by fetfet, Aug 30, 2008.

1. fetfet

fetfet

Apr 13, 2008
    Toronto, ON
    Love the looks and short scale of a Mustang, but the tone is a little to faux-precision IMO. Would it be possible to have the mustang pickguard and body cut to accommodate a P-Bass pickup? Could someone photoshop that if possible?

I have a Dimarzio Split P in mind. I think it will beef up the bass and sharpen the hi-mids and treble.

2. Big Galoot

Big Galoot

Aug 14, 2008
    No, physics will not allow such nonsense.

You heretic.

Kidding, I've actually seen it done, didn't get to hear the bass but saw it.

3. iplaybasstexas

iplaybasstexas

Apr 5, 2008
    DFW
    NO!

4. fetfet

fetfet

Apr 13, 2008
    Toronto, ON
    WHY!?!?

5. Alienation

Alienation

Jul 29, 2008
    Midsouth
    I wonder if any of the custom pickup makers (Lollar, Fralin, Nordstrand) would take on something like a hotter pickup for the Mustang.

It would be cool. I think Tina Weymouth played a Mustang with a precision pickup in it. I'm sure there have been others as well.

I have a fretless and a fretted Mustang, I would like something with more umph in the fretted Mustang myself.

I love 'em both though and as such cannot :rollno: violate them in anyway. ;)

6. iplaybasstexas

iplaybasstexas

Apr 5, 2008
    DFW

because a mustang is a mustang and has a mustang pickup.

if you want a P sound, buy a P!

common sense :)

7. Loel

Loel Blazin' Acadian

Oct 31, 2004
    IIRC,there is a company that makes a direct replacement
    for the Mustang pickups,i can't recall now,perhaps Seymour Duncan,try Google..

8. fetfet

fetfet

Apr 13, 2008
    Toronto, ON
    I've sent an email to Carey Nordstrand to see if he'd do it. I'll tell you if i get a reply.

9. Alienation

Alienation

Jul 29, 2008
    Midsouth
    That would be cool indeed. I actually bought a Bartolini split coil Precision pickup to put in my fretted Mustang and changed my mind about it.

A small direct replacement "custom made" split coil would be an interesting try. The big split coil just doesn't look right.

There is a website that sells direct replacement pickups for the Mustang. www.guitarpartsresource.com.

I bought a direct replacement from them as a spare "just in case" but they are pretty much stock I believe. Good website for Fender bass parts. :cool:

10. peterbright

peterbright

Jan 23, 2007
    On The Bayou
    Could you get the stock pickup rewound?

11. fetfet

fetfet

Apr 13, 2008
    Toronto, ON
    I don't understand what that means.

And how would it affect my tone?

12. i think its duncan as well....

13. How about just putting in a DiMarzio Model J wired in series?

14. fetfet

fetfet

Apr 13, 2008
    Toronto, ON
    Just got areply from Lollar; he said thatthey make the MUstang bass pickup for $120. He said it should sound better than stock, a little fatter, and a bit clearer. This is awesome.

15. Alienation

Alienation

Jul 29, 2008
    Midsouth
    Well....there you go. :D A solution. :hyper: I think I will look into this as well. :bassist:

16. Whaaaapsh

Whaaaapsh

Apr 23, 2006
    Portland, OR
    I had a stock reissue mustang pickup rewound by Wolfe at Wolftone Pickups and it kicked ass. Really nice and deep. He wound it to vintage specs.

17. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Is this for an original Mustang or a Mustang RI?

I thought putting a P pickup in my Mustang RI until I found that the stock pickup "out Precisions" my Precisions including 2 vintage Ps.