1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mustang Sadly

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by iomamo, Nov 22, 2018.

Tags:
  1. iomamo

iomamo

Aug 16, 2012
    Wales
    Tried an Olympic White P/J Mustang today. Nice fit and finish apart from the the black shielding paint which had crept onto the front of the bass from the J pickup cavity.

Plugged it in, noticed that when the volume knob was at anything less than maximum the tone control had the unfortunate effect of reducing output. And I'm not talking 10%, I'm talking 75%. Told the clerk, he set me up with another one (finish was fine), same thing again.

Is that just something that happens on these basses? Seems unacceptable to me.

IamGroot likes this.
  2. Seems unlikely that they'd both have the same fault.
    Was it a Volume/Volume/Treble layout?

Reads like you might have been manipulating the volume knob instead of the treble cut.

3. iomamo

iomamo

Aug 16, 2012
    Wales
    No, it was master volume, master tone and a three-way switch. The effect was the same in all three pickup positions.

HD007 likes this.
  4. I guess it's not impossible that those two were from the same batch where a solderer got the leads on the wrong terminals & that there's a whole bunch of them out there like that, LOL!
    It would be a pretty easy fix if you have a soldering kit.

If you like it otherwise, evaluate it at full volume, or ask the store to fix the one you like for a better evaluation.

It's pretty poor QC that they were shipped out.

5. HD007

HD007 Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2018
    I have this exact problem on mine. Gonna have my buddy rewire it one of these days

iomamo likes this.
  6. A passive tone control is a volume control that doesn't turn down all the frequencies. This can be more pronounced with larger capacitors and other things like what frequencies your amp is pushing out.

If your cap is rolling off highs and mids and your amp is set to push highs you will hear a larger volume cut.

creaturegods and mcnach like this.
  7. Kukulkan61

Kukulkan61 Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2011
    Northern Arizona
    This is the only reason I don’t do P/J style basses...

iomamo likes this.
  8. iomamo

iomamo

Aug 16, 2012
    Wales
    I always thought the issue with the P/J setup was a loss of output with both pickups at maximum. Is this something that happens when both pickups are wired to the same volume/tone?

9. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    The cap in the Mustang PJ is 0.1uF which is larger than the 0.047uF cap usually found in passive basses.

TrustRod, Groove Doctor and iomamo like this.
  10. iomamo

iomamo

Aug 16, 2012
    Wales
    Interesting. I'd like to know why they made that choice, because below max volume it renders the tone control useless.

HD007 likes this.
  11. nilorius

nilorius

Oct 27, 2016
    Riga - Latvia
    It sounds like a pretty easy problem to be solved. Only - let it be done by the master. OK?

12. jasper383

jasper383

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    These basses are wired with "50s wiring"--not typical for basses, but it is what it is. Here's an explanation from a previous thread:

Can be easily changed to a more common bass P/J with switch wiring.

Groove Doctor, dxb and iomamo like this.
  13. iomamo

iomamo

Aug 16, 2012
    Wales
    Huh, who knew. Thanks for that.

HD007 likes this.
  14. pudge

pudge Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2008
    NY
    To be honest I like my mikey way better than the p/j

doggo likes this.
  15. vvvmmm

vvvmmm

Dec 6, 2016
    Chi
    Wile it's not about how annoying it is to have to jam on the same cover tunes during the last cuppla-3 decades, I still nominate this for Thread Title of the Year.

:cool:

bassobrutto, iomamo, jamro217 and 3 others like this.
  16. Eh?

17. Points for the title

staurosjohn and iomamo like this.
  18. dxb

dxb

Dec 25, 2016
    I think that's just how they are. When I first got my Mustang it took me a while to figure out which knob was volume and which was tone, as they both seemed to affect the volume.

19. Adienn7

Adienn7

Jan 26, 2007
    just buy it used even beat up and wired it right.. it'll be cheaper and sound better.. if you don't like the J just wire it like a P bass..

20. MuttThud

MuttThud

Aug 31, 2017
    UK
    Odd. I have a Mustang PJ (also white, FWIW) and have never noticed this before because I never dial down the volume pot on the bass (on any bass in fact.... I dial back on the amp instead). Just tried this and noticed the same thing. Not an issue for me in reality as I never touch the volume pot. What I do notice (and it is not ideal) is that the tone pot is very steep... after just 10% or so of travel, the tone is dialled right back and there isn’t much of a change over the rest of the travel. I’ve learned to live with it though - I know how to dial in the tone I want - and the bass overall is great, especially after I swapped the pickups for SD quarter pounders and replaced the cheap and unreliable toggle switch with a better aftermarket alternative.

Skillet likes this.