1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mustang Sally music

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by tbirdsp, May 13, 2015.

1. tbirdsp

tbirdsp

Sep 18, 2012
    Omaha, NE
    Featuring the Rolls Royce Merlin V-12 ;)

Stealth Fighter and BassCliff like this.
  2. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    Awesome ... I'd give a body part to fly a P-51 ... best prop fighter ever conceived.

tbirdsp and Stewie26 like this.
  3. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Fort Worth, Texas
    That is truely music. And +1 to RustyAxe.
    When I was about 14 I was a Civil Air Patrol cadet and one summer we "camped" for a week at an airfield in Corpus Christi, Texas that had CAP members' planes and one of them had a Mustang. I remember standing about 100' away watching as it revved up to take off. Not only a great and beautiful plane, it did have the most awesome sounding engine I've ever heard.
    When I was in the Navy, I was air crew on 3 different planes, but my favorite was the EC-121P, the Lookhead Super Constellation equiped with radar, electronic surveillance, and sub hunting equipment. It had 4 Prat & Whitney 3350 engines. When all the engines were fired up, you couldn't hear anyone inside talk unless you were on a headset. It was like listening to thunder that lasted 12 hours - our usual mission time.

kcole4001 and tbirdsp like this.
  4. Stewie26

Stewie26 Supporting Member

To fly in a P-51 in on my bucket list. The Commemorative Air Force just had a three day event at my local airport where you could fly in your choice of a B-24, B-25, B-29 or P-51. Had to work so I missed it. They do it every year so maybe in 2016.

Last edited: May 14, 2015
    tbirdsp likes this.
  5. As good as the Merlin sounds and as powerful as it is , I'm still stuck on the sound of a couple of radials flying side by side.

6. tbirdsp

tbirdsp

Sep 18, 2012
    Omaha, NE
    I saw this EC-121T many years ago. Good to see they are sprucing it up.
    Lockheed EC-121T-LO "Warning Star"

7. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    There's a little airport in New Jersey ( Greenwood Lake Airport's Homepage ) , 4N1, that has an inoperable Connie attached to the FBO ... the right wing forms the roof of the entry way. Cool little place. It is (was?) used as the clubhouse for a flying club based on the field. Check the pics in the link. Be sure to check out the pics on the History page.

trump.JPG.w560h246.

8. Gravedigger Dav

Mar 13, 2014
    Fort Worth, Texas
    That is an Air Force plane. Here is a link to a Navy Restoration. Work Crew Pic in shade of wing

I flew missions in this plane in the photo from 1963 - 1965. I went to a Willy Victor reunion in about 2003 (IIRC). It was underway at the time. The exterior was well under way, but the interior was just getting started. They were having difficulty finding the parts.

9. GKon

GKon Supporting Member, Boom-Chicka-Boom

Feb 17, 2013
    Queens, NY
    You can pay to be a passenger in on at the American Airpower Museum in Farmingdale, NY. :)

10. tbirdsp

tbirdsp

Sep 18, 2012
    Omaha, NE
    Great story, cool you flew on these beasts!
    Yeah I know it's AF but similar plane and not much water here in the great plains;) And I am retired USAF, 1985-2005. Maintenance crew chief on RC-135U/V/W recon and EC-135C "Looking Glass" command post birds. I was also flight mechanic on this C-135A (basically a KC-135A tanker with no refueling boom, set up for cargo/passengers). P&W J-57 turbojets with water injection for takeoff.
    60-0378_zpskbakgdqx.

11. Gravedigger Dav

Mar 13, 2014
    Fort Worth, Texas
    I have great memories of my flying days. When I said this plane, I meant specifically the plane in the photo - 141311.
    I was in VW-13, crew 4, Flying Giants (so named because our plane commander was actually 1/2" taller than the 6'6" max height for a Navy pilot then. He always had to slump down to pass flight physicals.