1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mustang trunk space question

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Righteous Thunderer, Mar 21, 2010.

1. I'm considering getting an 05 or newer Mustang GT, but I'm concerned about fitting my bass gear in it. I figure I can put my bass in the back seat... maybe... but can you fit a decent sized combo amp, say Peavey TKO 115 in the trunk?

2. gttim

gttim

Dec 12, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    I drive a 2000 Mustang, which is the previous body style, but a similar size. Unless something drastically has changed, you won't fit a combo in the trunk. I would have to put mine in the back seat and then fold one of the seats down to fit the bass in through the trunk.

The trunk and the back seat are pretty much for show. They will hold small people and gear, but not much else. I can slide a small road bike in with the seats down, but it is tight.

If you are really concerned, take your gear to the dealership and see. I had a buddy take his bike to a Mercedes dealership. He told the salesman he had to be sure the bike would fit in the trunk with the seats folded down. The guy laughed, like "yeah, right." My buddy said, "No, I don't buy it if I do not know that the bike fits in the back." He rolled hid bike in, put it in the trunk, and then bought the car. (The car he actually got took a month or two to get there, but was the same model.)

3. ()smoke()

()smoke()

Feb 25, 2006
    Dallas
    yes, when we had an '06, i had to load my accugroove tri112s in from the front, the trunk is big enough, but the opening is too small for a deep cab

the rear seats fold down, making a nice floor space for gear, but the rear seat is very very tight as mentioned, and not really conducive to loading in and out...reason we sold ours, (rear seat has latch points, tethers, etc, but a child car seat only fits with the front seat pushed all the way forward AND leaning forward)

4. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    +1 to all above. I have a 2009 GT and I can JUST fit my Fender hard case in the trunk, but my combo certainly will NOT fit that tiny opening. I use the wife's Edge when I need to haul gear. :D

5. Stranger Danger

Stranger Danger Feel Like A Stranger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    Sell the little boy car and get a man's ride = Expedition. You can fit your rig and somebody elses in there.

Nearly everytime women see a guy in a Mustang or a Camaro they say "he must have a little _____."

Think about it.

:bag:

6. need4mospd

need4mospd

Dec 22, 2005
    Houston
    The back seat can fit up to a 6x10 with some maneuvering. I lugged a Schroeder 310212, Aguilar 2x12, Ampeg 4x10 no problem. MOST hardcases I've had did NOT fit in the trunk. The form fitting cases would fit and all softcases fit of course, so I mostly use softcases. If I had a big hard case it usually ended up in the passenger seat or on top of the cabinet in the back seat.

7. I appreciate the responses! If nothing else I'll haul some gear down to the dealer, but I forgot to mention that I can't because I'm in Iraq right now. I do a good bit of traveling when I'm between deployments, and currently have a Grand Cherokee which is really great for hauling gear and such, but I kinda want something more fun to drive. I'll probably just keep the Jeep and wait until those 2011's are a few years old and get one with that 5.0 in it :D Thanks again!

8. need4mospd

need4mospd

Dec 22, 2005
    Houston
    Sorry, don't want to get confused for a soccer mom.

9. gttim

gttim

Dec 12, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Hmmmm. Most women I know seem to think that men drive huge SUV's because they have a tiny ______ and are trying to compensate.

I drive a Mustang because I love pony cars. And you can get a great deal on some of them! Bang for the buck, it is a great car!

10. dalkowski

dalkowski Supporting Member

May 20, 2009
    Massachusetts USofA
    I highly doubt the Peavey will fit in that trunk.

11. Il Basso

Il Basso

Sep 20, 2008
    My markbass traveler 2x10 and lmII fits in the trunk. 1x15 wasn't happening though it can fit in the backseat. Like the other guys have said, the bass fits in the back when in a gig bag but is a no go with a hardshell.

as far as the mustang goes, go for the '05-'09 body style. soopah-fine!

12. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Touche!!!! :hyper:

13. StrangerDanger: I've owned a F-150, a Civic, and now a Grand Cherokee. If there's one thing I've learned it's that I suck at parking big vehicles :p I'm with gttim on the love of pony cars and have always wanted one. With the introduction of that 5.0 Coyote engine in the '11 Mustang GT pushing out around 100 more horses than the 05-10 GT's, I think it's best to wait until some of those are on the used car lots :D

Like I said before, I really appreciate the replies from y'all. I'll just wait until I can afford to get the '11 and have my Jeep on hand to haul gear as well.

14. ericw

ericw

Aug 19, 2009
    Hagerstown, MD
    If not for the car, you would be confused with a soccer mom?

15. stiles72

stiles72

Mar 20, 2009
    Albany IL
    I fit a Peavey 5150 4x12 cab in the backseat of my 2000 Mustang. Was Beeotch... but I did it. had a hard time getting it out though!

16. 95svtcobra

95svtcobra

Sep 20, 2007
    Windham, NH
    As a long time (and multiple - 6 different stangs over the years) mustang owner, I'll say that since the fox body (79-93) hatchbacks have been gone, there are no good solutions for those of us with large bass gear.

The problem usually isn't the cubic volume, but the god awful design of the trunk opening. I have put LOTS of stuff that is larger in total size than a combo amp, but I've been able to stuff the smaller stuff in various nooks.

There are additional issues with some of the larger amps that are typically mounted under the decklid (Mach 500/1000 systems) and I know a few guys who removed them to save space (and weight - us Drag racers are kinda stupid....)

In any case the try before you buy is a good idea since the opening is the real issue. Sometimes the backseat can be an option, but certain years have different seat travel when pushed full forward and tilted. I believe the power seat tracks are longer also so you might have better access to thr rear of the driver seat (depending on model - not sure if the newest ones have a power passenger seat).

Oh, yeah, it's even worse with a convertible....

17. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 28, 2020