1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Mustang with a Mudbucker?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JELIFISH19, Jul 17, 2012.

1. JELIFISH19

JELIFISH19

Jun 7, 2012
    So I went out to try some basses for the first time last week. I specifically went to look for Mustangs and but I tried out a bunch of other stuff. I really liked the tone of the neck pickup on the SG Bass and LP DC Bass but I still would get a Mustang over the Gibsons. Is there a downside to putting a Mudbucker in a Mustang? I'll change the tone pot to a push-pull that selects either pickup. I also think it looks great which is a huge plus. Does anyone know how much the routing for something like this would cost?

Mustang.

2. If you like the look and sound of the mudbucker then go for it...routing shouldn't be too terribly expensive if you don't have the means to DIY it

3. JELIFISH19

JELIFISH19

Jun 7, 2012
    Is Novak the only one I can get one of these from?

4. xaxxat

xaxxat Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2008

5. fender_mod

fender_mod

Jun 23, 2005
    A luthier would charge you about $40, not too bad but you can DIY without worrying about doing any aesthetic damage cuz its got a pick guard. Start with a decent sized drill bit to get your depth and finish it off with a plunge router. A nice simple after noon project if you feel you can manage.

6. BonsaiBass

BonsaiBass

Jan 10, 2012
    You know... I was thinking the exact same thing but with a set of j bass pickups... Maybe with a blend control for the tone knob... Dunno! Suggestions? :D

7. b-bottom

b-bottom

Dec 18, 2006
    Knoxville TN
    On a side note. Mel Schacher from Grand Funk played a Fender P with a mud bucker in it.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQRYo_9uxBlLYle8dVnFHUKUP0B4-RWFPuf4OprfMTq6hstjQESvMvjag8-_A.

8. BonsaiBass

BonsaiBass

Jan 10, 2012
    that jazz bass look awesome! ;)

9. Here's a video from 1969 with Mel playing his modified Jazz

http://youtu.be/4EjfKVZvoDc

10. If you want one wound to original specs, then probably yes. I plan to get one for my Rivoli bass eventually.

11. MJT

MJT

Feb 24, 2011
    Roanoke, VA
  12. 48thStreetCustom

48thStreetCustom

Nov 30, 2005
    Colorado
    You know the mustang has relatively thin string spacing, right? I'm not sure if the poles would line up in the neck position

13. jumbodbassman

jumbodbassman Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2009
    Stuck in traffic -NY & CT
    Born Again Tubey
    artec makes a cheaper one for aabout $35 usually on ebay.. Ihaven't tried it so cant speak on it but other artec pups i have are pretty good.

14. jumbodbassman

jumbodbassman Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2009
    Stuck in traffic -NY & CT
    Born Again Tubey
    Cuurtis also makes a bisonic (think darkstar) that fit in the mudbucker frame. He just built 2 and stuffed them into ripper pups for me. I eagerly await their arrival....

15. JELIFISH19

JELIFISH19

Jun 7, 2012
    Would that really matter besides aesthetically?

16. 48thStreetCustom

48thStreetCustom

Nov 30, 2005
    Colorado
    If the string spacing on the bass is smaller than the pickups then the pole pieces won't sit directly beneath each string and they won't pick up the string vibrations evenly. Some stings might be quiet and dull while others are loud and punchy. But you could install the pickup at an angle so the pole pieces line up.

17. lavmonga

lavmonga

Jul 27, 2007
    New York, NY
    I've got an Epi Mudbucker for sale in the classifieds if you want it.

It's a pretty deep route. How thick is a Mustang body?

18. RED J

RED J Lol

Jan 23, 2000
    Actually, that's a plus. The mudbucker is narrow spacing too.

19. D.M.N.

D.M.N. (O)))) Supporting Member

Oct 6, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    A note regarding the current production LP DC bass and SG bass: They do NOT have mudbuckers are per the 1960s and 70s EB-0s and EB-3s. The modern SG bass, while the pickup looks similar to the old ones, in fact hides a Gibson Thunderbird pickup underneath it (the Gibson site says SG pickup for both, but I do recall seeing it state TB pickups in the past). Curtis Novak's EB pickup is replicating the OLD style mudbuckers, so his pickups won't sound entirely like the new ones. The old ones have lots of, well, mud, and a HUGE low end, while I find the new ones to have more of a mid, low mid focus. Just a heads up. Personally, I love the old style mudbuckers, and think plopping a Curtis in the Mustang would be pretty cool, like a Mini-Mel.

20. GBassNorth

GBassNorth

Dec 23, 2006
    SoCal
    To the OP (and related to the question from Jelifish19) check out the Fender Telecaster Modern Player at Guitar Center. They have the mudbucker in the neck position as well as one in the bridge position. I bought one of these a few weeks ago and it's a really neat bass. The neck pickup even in it's cleanest brightest setting lacks definition but really drives the fundamental deep bass tone. You can dial in the bridge pickup to bring clarity to the notes and add detail. I'd suggest you try one of these basses before you mod a mustang. I also have the Mustang bass and LOVE it. I wouldn't even consider modding it, it's just too perfect as is.
    Here's a pic of the Tele (butterscotch blonde) and the Mustang (tobbaco burst, upside down next to it) along with a number of my other Fender basses.