1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Mute for one song

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by OriginalCrash, May 1, 2009.

1. So I'm not that great at palm muting... The long term solution would be to practice and get better. But what options are there for getting that muted string sound on one song in a set coming up this Sunday? In other words, can it be easily (and effectively) done with foam or something else readily obtainable, or do I just need to do without this time around? Thanks for your help, guys.

Brian

2. Dogbertday

Dogbertday Commercial User

Jul 10, 2007
    SE Wisconsin
    Blaine Music LLC
    put a small amount of polyfoam under the strings... absolutely no more than an inch of the thick stuff or it may mess with your intonation

3. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process...

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    lotsa folks use things like socks, hair scrunchies, rubber bands.

hair scrunchies seem to be the most popular, as you can keep it on the headstock, and then just roll it on to the strings when you need it.

4. Just so I'm clear on hair scrunchies, you mean these, correct? :cool:

LongstrethScrunchie_big.

What, just bunch them up under the strings at the bridge? Same with foam or sponge/pad? Just wedge it between the body and strings right above the bridge?

Brian

5. I was going to say a piece of sponge, or foam. My old teacher used to use a scrunchy

6. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process...

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    yup.

Vic Wooten's brother uses several on the famous battle of the brothers vid on YouTube. You stick them around the neck. Just slide them off and on as needed.

7. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    I tend to just use my palm. If I need that extra push, as in the palm muted notes arent coming about as loud/clear as I like I just kick on a little overdrive.

Overdrive + Palm Muting = The Sex