1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mute Ideas?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by M0ses, Apr 30, 2010.

1. M0ses

M0ses

Sep 11, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Can someone please recommend me.....a nice piece of foam? I'm looking for something that I can buy at Walmart or a hobby shop or something for < $5 that will give me some wonderful thump. My flats are only getting halfway there, and there's nothing lying around the house that will work.

2. Rockman

Rockman

Mar 2, 2006
    You don't have an old towel somewher? Socks with holes in them? Underwear with too prominent streak marks?

3. Rocky McD

Rocky McD

Jun 28, 2005
    San Antonio, Texas
    Builder,mcdcustomguitars
    The square 3/4" x 3/4" insulation foam sold for windows and doors is a perfect size. It usually comes in rolls and has adhesive on one side. It is the same foam that fits under your pickups. Do you have a cover over your bridge to attach the foam to. If not, you will need to place it between the strings and the body.
    Rocky

4. Dan B

Dan B

Oct 19, 2008
    Pittsfield, MA
    I've seen people stick sponges in their basses for mutes.

5. A paper towel or kleenex can give you a nice thump. But I use a piece of foam I got from an old jewerly box.

6. Just cut up a sponge. Try different sizes until you like the results. The dollar store is good for that. I also use a Scrunchie above the Nut. I think it's funny that we look for heavy bridges, like Badass to improve sustain, and then we mute the overtones with a sponge.

7. Rocky

Rocky Banned

Jul 21, 2000
    Los Angeles
    LMAO...underwear with prominent streak marks...hahaha...that would make your bass the s***...lol :D

8. IMO...rubber foam insulation...that black stuff is the best...but lets face it, a synthetic sponge cut to the right size will work just as well...

I use the rubber foam...but 95% of the time, the palm of my hand is my mute of choice :)

9. ausf

ausf

Jun 24, 2008
    New York
    This.

Your best mute is never far from your fingers, the big meaty edge of your palm above the pinky. It's not easy, but when you get it down, it's a great tool.