1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Mute/Kill Switch

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by billhilly66, Apr 18, 2009.

1. billhilly66

billhilly66

Aug 25, 2007
    Plano, TX
    I need a mute/kill switch at the output side of my pedal board. I was using an A/B box with one side going to my tuner but it is kaput now and I think I’d like to have it on the other end of the board so I can check my tuning while I’m playing too.

Should I just get a better A/B box and leave one side open? I looked at the Loop Master site but didn’t see a mute switch.

2. Is placing the tuner last in the signal path, and using it to mute the signal unacceptable?

Unless you're putting brand new strings on before every set, observing the tuning in the middle of a song shouldn't be necessary.

3. billhilly66

billhilly66

Aug 25, 2007
    Plano, TX
    I don’t want the tuner last cause it doesn’t work well without a real clean signal. I don’t change strings much but I bang the tuners into a mike or cymbal stand from time to time.

4. scotch

scotch It's not rocket science! Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2006
    Albany, NY USA
    Please see Profile for Endorsement disclosures
    Loopmaster could easily build you a cheap, compact kill box. Just email them.

There are lots of other options. I take it you want the 'mute' capability at the end of the signal chain for a reason? Or can the 'mute' be at the front?

5. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I use my Boss TU-2 as a tuner/mute at the front of my chain. I suppose it could be at the end or the middle. When you mute, you mute no matter where it is in the chain, right?

6. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Yes, just put it first, problem solved(?).

7. Kooldac

Kooldac

Oct 20, 2008
    Arizona
    That is fundamentally correct. However, delay/modulation later in the chain could keep doing its thing...

8. Why not just get an A/B box with toggles for both A and B... Put it first in your signal chain with the pedalboard as one out and the tuner as another?

9. Wren and Cuff

Wren and Cuff Commercial User

Oct 4, 2007
    LA, California
    Creator/Owner: Wren and Cuff FX
    why not make it real easy, and free. Get any pedal you want that you don't use.

For non-true bypass pedals:

Turn the volume to zero, then kick the pedal off. When you want to "mute" it, hit the pedal with the vol. at zero. Muted (won't work with most delays, phasers, etc. though, anything you can't cut volume with)!

For a true-bypass pedal used as mute, just take out the battery. Leave it bypassed, kick it "on" to mute it.

whatever works...

10. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

I love easy and free solutions.
    He could do just that or leave A/B where it is since it will change aboslutely nothing to the final result.
    Unfortunately this is the effect forum. It's not a good fix if it doesn't involve buying stuff. :D