Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mute pedal?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Razor, Jan 26, 2003.

1. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    Most units, whether it be a preamp or head unit has a mute switch that can be depressed without actually having to unplug from the preamp/head unit to, say, change to a different bass. Mine does not. Herein lies the question...anyone know of a cheap pedal or similar device that I can run between my bass and my rig that can kill the signal for a bass swap and then be reactivated?

2. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    How about a quality tuner pedal? Kill two birds with one stone.

3. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Would an A/B switch work? Plug a bass into the A side and a bass into the B side and away you go.

4. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    I was thinking about the A/B switch idea....but not sure. I might have to try it. I've already got a good tuner in my rack and I really don't need another or wanna spend that much money on just a kill switch. I'll grab an A/B box and see if it works.

5. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Another vote for the TU-2...

6. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I use an A/B box and it works fine. Cheaper than a tuner......

7. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    I also use an A/B for my live rig. At home, when I want to switch basses w/out a pop I use . . .

the master volume knob on my amp!!! If I turn it all the way counter-clockwise, no sound comes out!!! It took me awhile to figure this out, I mean, they could've labelled this position "mute" or something like that. I think I'll write a letter to GK right now! Maybe I should patent this idea first, I could make mad cash.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Sorry, nothing personal, I'm just feeling sarcastic.

8. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    True but if you're connected to the PA via a DI box, you'll send a nasty pop through it even if your amp is silent.

9. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    Easy. Use a volume swell pedal straight after the bass, before going into anything else.

When you change bass, turn down the volume, unplug, plugin, turn up volume. No pops, no clicks.
    You might even find yourself using it during songs for expression.

Another thought, does your rack tuner have a mute footswitch soket? I konw some of the Korg DTR ones do.

10. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
  11. Another vote for the Boss TU-2. It's the best accessory investment I've made. You'll have a tuner always at your disposal and it serves as a mute switch. I wouldn't be without it.