Mute, uh..."roll" ?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by FoxfireBass, Feb 28, 2005.

  1. Hey,

    I don't know if this has been posted here before, and as I don't know what you would call this, I figured I might as well post this. ;)

    I've been going through the NAMM videos, and a few times, I've seen bassists do a slapped/popped mute "roll." The tone is sort of weird, and despite how I try to emulate how I think it would sound doesn't work, and the way they move their left hand confuses me.

    What I'm talking about can be seen here:

    At about 0:30 - 0:31. (Warning: 11.5 MB download)

    Is it just a muted pop, double slap, left-hand slap, double-stop mute, and I'm simply overanalying?

    I apologize if this has been done before, is on this page, or is something really simple that I should be able to figure out by myself.

    Thanks. ;)
  2. I didn't really see anything special at that time in the video. Just a quick little slap pop lick. Maybe you're talking about the hammer on "doublet" things?
    EDIT: Is it just me or is he really just barely touching the strings for slap?
  3. Ah, must be a raked triplet.

    Thanks much. ;) Wasn't getting the "right" tone (at least, to me) with a left-handed slap.