1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Mute, uh..."roll" ?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by FoxfireBass, Feb 28, 2005.

1. Hey,

I don't know if this has been posted here before, and as I don't know what you would call this, I figured I might as well post this. ;)

I've been going through the NAMM videos, and a few times, I've seen bassists do a slapped/popped mute "roll." The tone is sort of weird, and despite how I try to emulate how I think it would sound doesn't work, and the way they move their left hand confuses me.

What I'm talking about can be seen here:

http://www.thelowend.net/gallery/images/namm/shanon1.wmv

At about 0:30 - 0:31. (Warning: 11.5 MB download)

Is it just a muted pop, double slap, left-hand slap, double-stop mute, and I'm simply overanalying?

I apologize if this has been done before, is on this page, or is something really simple that I should be able to figure out by myself.

Thanks. ;)

2. I didn't really see anything special at that time in the video. Just a quick little slap pop lick. Maybe you're talking about the hammer on "doublet" things?
    EDIT: Is it just me or is he really just barely touching the strings for slap?

3. Ah, must be a raked triplet.

Thanks much. ;) Wasn't getting the "right" tone (at least, to me) with a left-handed slap.