1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Mute vs turning volume down

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Whippet, Feb 18, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Whippet

Whippet

Aug 30, 2014
    Muting the Markbass multiamp is a pain because for some unknown reason, it changes the parameter / setting on the amp.

My chain is simple:
    Bass----tuner----comp--- outboard preamp----drum machine---instrument jack of amp (aka input).

Now if I turn down the outboard preamp and drum machine to zero, turn off the comp and tuner, is this the same as muting the amp?

I am assuming that muting the amp is the equivalent of closing the gate to all inputs.

Thanks for all information in advance.

Bassbeater likes this.
  2. eJake

eJake

May 22, 2011
    New Orleans
    I might be misunderstanding you here but doesn't your tuner pedal have a mute?

Whippet, Lobster11 and lz4005 like this.
  3. Bassbeater

Bassbeater Guest

Sep 9, 2001
    I'm confused, it's a series audio chain, I think you just mute/null the last item in the chain(drum machine) if you need to mute all signals(provided the drum machine is always outputting sound). Otherwise you can mute at tuner usually.
    If you need a hardware option you could get a DOD 270 and place it after the drum machine and switch to empty channel B for mute.
    [​IMG]

Whippet likes this.
  4. Whippet

Whippet

Aug 30, 2014
    I am using the Sonic Research ST300. I don't think it has a mute button. It has a bypass that allows me to play and get sound out of the cabinet, and at the same time show tuning without using a tuner out.

I unplug the bass and the lamp stays A without the led spinning around. If I touch the tip of the connector, it displays G and makes that crackling sound. I don't think it's muted.

If I just turn it off, it goes into mute?

What I don't understand is MUTE means that there is no signal going in and coming out right? So there should be no crackling sound if I touch the tip of the connector?

5. Whippet

Whippet

Aug 30, 2014
    From what I am figuring out, I guess I need a hardware to physically cancel input and output.