Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

muted noise

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Bryan_G, Jan 2, 2001.

1. Bryan_G

Bryan_G

Apr 28, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Whenever I play I mute the string above the string I am plucking with my second finger, I usualy play index and midle. Now whenever I have a seriers of notes on the same string I alternate muteing and plucking fingers, however when I pull the finger past the string and rest it on the string above it it causes a muffled kind of tap. Its pretty quite and nobody probably could notice it, but lately I have been hearing it very slighty and it annoys me.
    Anybody else do this, or have done it in the past and fixed it? Any suggestions on a new better way to go about doing things?

2. When you pluck the string with you fingers, try to pluck them ACROSS the bass, not down into it. Do you understand what I'm saying? Like, don't push the string into the body, pull it up, across the body, so it vibrates vertically (if you are standing), not horizontally (which would cause it to hit a fret). Did that help?

3. Bryan_G

Bryan_G

Apr 28, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Yah, but thats not really what I am talking about. But guess If i want it to stop all I have to do is make sure that i dont hit the string and work on my left hand muteing. :) thanks anyways.