1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mute's??

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Mr. Mig, Sep 10, 2008.

1. Mr. Mig

Mr. Mig

Sep 7, 2008
    What do you guys use for a mute? Do you actually have one, or do you guys have a homemade one(i.e. a sponge)?

2. OptimusPrime

OptimusPrime

Mar 30, 2008
    Florida
    I've been meaning to build a TINY mute box. Just a momentary switch in a small enclosure for cool kill switch type stuff.

3. mrkreuzschlitz

mrkreuzschlitz

Jun 30, 2008
    Dacula, GA
    I use my palm.

4. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Since he mentions sponge, I don't think he's talking about a mute switch, but rather the foam mutes people put under the bridge cover to damp sustain. Not what we normally think of as an "effect", but what else is it really.

To the OP, the budget-minded are usually satisfied with a bit of sponge or some rolled-up old sock; while the champagne-minded use a bassmute.com mute. I had one of those bassmute ones, and it's really well-made.

5. Swimming Bird

Swimming Bird

Apr 18, 2006
    Wheaton MD
    When I was really into tapping I just placed some soft-side velcro above the first fret. It worked fine.

6. derelicte

derelicte

Dec 25, 2007
    NJ/NYC
    there was a youtube clip i saw where some dood was wearing snowboarding gloves. interesting stuff.

7. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

No need for a special material. Sponge will be annoying to use as soon as it dries. Any soft cloth will do the trick, just stick it under the strings at the bridge. A sock, a hanky, whatever.
    I use the same cloth I wipe my strings with.

8. Try a hair scrunchy or something similar, just slide it up above the nut when you want to turn it "off".