1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Muther Freaking Fender

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, Oct 10, 2013.

1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    OK. It's no secret that Fender and I have a love/hate relationship.... mostly on the hate side. Either I have the worst luck on the planet regarding them, or their quality control is truly the worst of any bass company. I currently own 2 Fenders that I love, out of around 15 that I've owned... and, well, I'll get to the point...

Even their gigbags have problems. After aout 4 years of abuse, my Warwick Rockbag (favorite gigbag) is starting to fall apart. I decided I'll use my brand new Fender gigbag, which ironically was taking care of a Warwick. Never did anything with that bag except put a Fortress into it, and place it in a closet. Well, I'm going to have to cut the bag apart because the zipper pull on it literally just completely disappeared and I now can't figure out any other way to get the bag open.

All I ever did with the bag was open it, put a bass in, close it, and put it in the closet... and now it's useless. And I have to buy a gigbag. When I shouldn't have to buy a gigbag. Glad this didn't happen at a gig or on a tour.

Is a gigbag under warranty if was clearly never used? Should I write Fender? Why does just about everything I buy from Fender break? Even my Fender keepers broke within the first few months and I had to buy and fix things on them.

This doesn't happen with ANY other bass company I purchase from, and I've purchased from a lot.

Done bashing.

2. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    That sucks. Is the zipper pull gone, just the part you grab? Maybe you could run a wire (or a guitar string) through it so you'd have something to pull, and not have to cut it open. It would suck even harder if you scratched up your bass while cutting the gig bag.

I'll bet there's a little tag in the bag that says "China."

3. pica

pica

Nov 26, 2009
    Michigan
    Just put a large paper clip in the zipper pull. That worked for me when my zipper broke on a gig bag. Mine wasn't a Fender though. I have had a Fender gig bag with no problems.

4. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    To be evenhanded here with our anecdotal stories, I've had two warwick rockbags self destruct on me. One the plastic strap adjustment pieces broke (one a month after I got it, the other a month or two later). I ended up having to rig up a system of carabiners and duct tape to make that bag usable though it hung pretty low from there on out. Eventually the entire top section ripped apart at the seems. Another was a few years old and similarly ripped apart at the seems around the headstock area. Loved the warwick bags, especially the first one which had a really nice interior lining, the neck support cushion/strap, and a ton of padding. It was just way over stuffed for long term use apparently.

Either way, try the paper clip idea as mentioned, that's always worked for me if a zipper tab broke off on something. If the whole mechanism is gone it should simply pull apart from one end as nothing is holding it together. If it's staying together on the ends then maybe the mechanism has flipped inside or under some fabric? I've seen that happen on other types of bags with really loose ends where the zipper meets the bag.

5. I've had two very nice Warwicks crap out on me within months of purchase...

6. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I've got a lot of cheap gig bags that came with used basses (and where are all the HSCs those basses shipped with?). They all suck, even the Fender "premium" bag.

Get a Mooradian or Reunion Blues if you want a real gig bag. Mooradian repaired broken zippers and opened seams on a 20 year old bag of mine for free, can't beat that!

I once had a VRI Jazz that could have used a stronger truss rod :bawl: otherwise never had issues with Fender basses "breaking".

Your mileage may vary.

7. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    It's not just the tab that's gone. The whole piece disappeared. Otherwise the paperclip thing is kind of a no brainer, though I appreciate the help. Gigbags fall apart. I know that. But this one didn't even ever go anywhere. My last rockbag lasted even longer than the prrsent one. I want another. Got more to say but doin this on my phone, at work, and I should be werkin. :)

8. nutdog

nutdog when I'm a good dog they sometimes throw me a bone

Feb 19, 2009
    in the dog house
    I've been using a fender deluxe gigbag for a year now. $35. Works good and has great pockets. But the backpack straps attach with cheezy clips that come off easily. Not when carrying but when not in use. One disappeared and I made a replacement.

But the pockets are awesome. Nothing else available like it at that price. I'd buy another but apparently they don't sell them anymore. But in fairness, I don't have to carry it very far.

9. nutdog

nutdog when I'm a good dog they sometimes throw me a bone

Feb 19, 2009
    in the dog house
    Some of those bags cost more than my basses!:D

10. deste

deste

Sep 14, 2009
    Bologna, Italy, Europe
    Endorsing Artist: GullanskyLab pickups
    I have a Fender DeLuxe gigbag, and to me seems to be fine, except for the hanger (sorry, I'm italian: is this the right word? anyway, the thing on the strap that hangs on the ring on the cover itself) which seems me too thin.
    About Rockbags: I have a quite old one (1996) which served me perfectly and still is ok. Two newer ones (2010) have lost one strap, and it's the typical chinese sewing. I'll never buy one anymore.
    I just bought at Thomann, at the same price asked for the Fender one, this one: http://www.thomann.de/it/thomann_premium_gigbag_e_bass_br.htm
    quite ugly to see, I agree, but very very sturdy and well padded, and its horrible fake-leather is perfect for rainy days.

11. If you zipped it up and it went nowhere - that zipper pull is still there.

Is there a section of zipper that continues underneath the bag material? Like a little pocket? Get some needle nose pliers in there!

12. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Trust me when I say the entire pull is gone. My wife, who used to manufacture clothing, couldnt help. She said I was going to have to break it, or cut it.

13. jason_cfh

jason_cfh

Sep 6, 2013
    I must have the complete opposite luck because I bought a fender gig bag way back in 1991 and it's just now starting to fall apart (inner lining ripping) and it has been through everything except sitting in a closet.

14. Bassdirty

Bassdirty

Jul 23, 2010
    CT
    I prefer roadrunner. I always assumed that if your buyin a name brand (fender.wick)..your just payin to have the name sewn onto a cheap bag. Roadrunner specializes in bags..etc. (unless they make guitars that I dont know of.) ;)

Joe: id at least write the company..ive had several free water filter systems..free ben and jerrys..free frozen pizzas..etc..just by a simple letter explaning your dissatisfaction.. yea..a case is different than a frozen pizza..but the water filter vouchers were for 70 bux worth of goods. Be firm..but be nice...until its time to not be nice.

ymmv.

15. the yeti

the yeti

Nov 6, 2007
    raleigh, nc
    needlenose pliers? maybe you could get your wife's seam ripper in there enough to get it started?

sometimes the pull gets flipped over to the inside. even though i've seen it i have no understanding as to how that could happen.

16. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    Hey, you're in NYC...give a hooker $10 to open the zipper.

17. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man Gold Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Finally, some constructive input.

18. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Sweet! :)

19. heavyfunkmachin

heavyfunkmachin

Jan 21, 2005
  20. GBassNorth

GBassNorth

Dec 23, 2006
    SoCal
    +1 on this, I've had to do it before when traveling. Also, I'll second the motion to get a roadrunner gig bag from GC. A deluxe one with lots of padding runs around $50 and will last for many years of abuse.