1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Muting A/D strings?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Growler, Dec 10, 2006.

1. Growler

Growler

Sep 26, 2004
    Any good suggestions for muting the D string? I notice that often while playing the D/G strings that I'll hit the D/G strings after playing a string. So, when I play a G, I'll bump the D and while playing a D, I'll hit the A string. I would classify this is hitting the string on the 'followthrough' to the string above.

I don't hit the strings while playing slow, but when I get up to speed I definitely hit them. while I'm working on not hitting them, i'm looking for a way to mute these two middle strings. (E isn't a problem as i always rest my right thumb on it)

Thanks

2. jsbass

jsbass

Sep 3, 2006
    WI
    Could use the Floating Thumb technique, I beleive the thread with videos is in this section somewhere, you could try searching Floating Thumb. Hope it helps.

3. user101

user101

Oct 15, 2006
    if you are using a 4 string, there is another technique that you can try. Assuming that you only use your index and your middle finger to pluck, you could use your pinky to mute the A string and the ring finger to mute the D string (or the other way round, whichever is more comfy for you). The thumb as usual stays on the E. But as soon as you move up to 6 strings or more, you'd have to somehow grow some extra fingers or use the floating thumb method.

4. Higgie

Higgie

May 31, 2005
    London, England
    I have always used floating thumb since I started, it just felt natural to me. Using this technique will definitely help to solve your problem.

5. Audiophage

Audiophage

Jan 9, 2005
    I think you just need to work on your resting strokes for faster tempos.