Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Muting in slap

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Lewi_wilko, Oct 13, 2005.

1. Lewi_wilko

Lewi_wilko

Mar 24, 2004
    Hey, i find when i play slap the one main thing that is letting me down is my muting, its crap, at the moment i am just resting my fingers on top of the string with my left hand. So should i try something new like palm muting or something? share comments please :D :D :D

Cheers.

2. I am by no means an expert but I have had a lot of success with palm muting and left-hand muting. When using your left hand, you can get a really effective mute by using two fingers touching the string at the same time in two different spots. This helps eliminate the ring that you sometimes get and it mutes the string a little faster.

HTH.

- Andrew

3. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    For me I find that my right hand needs to stay loose and live when slapping, it is not available for muting at all......but......right hand technique is important because the more accurate you are the less you need to mute in the overall scope of things.
    It's all about the left hand on this one. Slow it down and slap one note at a time on one string until it's clean to a level of your satisfaction then move on to another. Start to alternate between the two and slowly add some popping of the octaves. Eventually you will be breaking-off patterns and what not but the key I think is to break yourself back down and start off slowly making quality your goal and forgetting about quantity for now.
    People mute differently depending on their style, anatomy and instrument and I believe it takes time and patience for it to evolve effectively and naturally, that's how I see it anyway..

4. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    I just use left hand muting. Works best for me.

5. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Apart from left-hand muting, you can dampen the lower strings with your lower forearm or the base of your wrist.

6. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    I find my slapping is far too active for that form of muting. But then again, what ever works.

7. ryco

ryco

Apr 24, 2005
    I keep the fingers I'm not using to play the note flat across the other strings. They act as a damper. Thumb too sometimes for lower strings.

8. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    It works with VERY active slapping, too, IME.